54. Conflicted

Yanli asked Xiaoru to help get Wuxian to his room. She then asked for a small tub of warm water. She started to wipe the sweat from Wuxian's face. She noticed that he had a fever. She didn't know if it was from the fighting or if it was just something natural. Yanli knows that Wuxian had a problem overworking himself and exhausting himself. She tried to many times to break that habit of his...it never worked. She hoped that maybe Wangji helped him with that. She realized it was something that Wangji had yet to accomplish within their relationship was to learn to properly communicate and reason with his husband.

Baoshan found Wangji outside meditating at the pavilion. She sighed and made her way over to him, "Wangji?" She called out.

Lan Wangji opened his eyes and looked at her, "I will talk with him soon. I just need to calm down," he told her.

Baoshan sat beside him, "I am not making excuses for what he did, but I am going to tell you why his emotions cloud his mind during combat situations. It was the same with A'Ying's father as he had a hard time controlling his emotions when he was fighting."

"I am mad but at the same time, I am not. I am worried. I have tried to help him with this for a long time but he hasn't improved well on it," Wangji explained.

"The reason for that situation is because he has dragon blood. Dragons are majestic creatures but they are very temperamental. Their emotions drive them to do something that they shouldn't do, and they regret fighting once that rage calms down. Since A'Ying is part dragon, he needs to learn how to manage his emotions. I watched the whole thing through a mirror in my room. After you left, A'Ying cried until he passed out."

"Is he okay?" He asked.

"I have Yanli checking on him," Baoshan said.

"Grandmaster Baoshan?" Xiaoru asked.

"Yes, what is it?" Baoshan asked.

"Yanli is with Wuxian. Wuxian has come down with a fever," Xiaoru explained.

Wangji grew worried and stood up, "where is he now?" Wangji asked.

"Your room," Xiaoru replied.

Wangji and Baoshan went to go check on Wuxian. Yanli was actually having a hard time keeping Wuxian's temperature down, "Baoshan, his fever won't go down," she told her.

Baoshan had Sun Simiao come check on him. Simiao placed a needle at the top of Wuxian's head sent some energy through. That energy was actually not being absorbed and in turn, not helping his fever, "Wangji, can you do what I just did to that needle there?" Simiao asked.

Wangji nodded and passed energy through the needle. The energy was taking this time and was helping reduce Wuxian's temperature, "why did it work for me and not you?" Wangji asked.

"You are his soul bond," Simiao replied, "you two share energy. In return, it helps with fighting against fevers. As soul bonds, you have the ability to help each other heal. The rest is up to A'Ying," Simiao removed the needle, "he will wake when he has some energy back. He is just exhausted. Hence the fever."

"Thank you, Sun," Baoshan said.

"My pleasure," Simiao said and left the room.

Baoshan turned back to Wangji, "you can stay with him if you want. He will wake when he is ready. I am sure you two need to talk about what happened as well. Try not to be too hard on him. He does feel really guilty for hurting you."

"I know, we will talk," Wangji assured her. Baoshan nodded before leaving him alone with Wuxian. Wangji turned back to Wuxian and sighed, "You are lucky I love you so damn much."

Wangji sighed and remained sitting beside Wuxian on the bed, but he decided to meditate as he sat there. After a while, Wuxian wasn't waking but he was crying in his sleep. It woke wangji from his meditation. He placed his hand on Wuxian's forehead and felt that he was still warm to the touch. Wangji got a fresh bowl of water and began to pat the sweat away from Wuxian's face.

Wuxian was still not waking as he cried. It actually broke Wangji's heart to see his husband like this. He hasn't actually seen Wuxian crying in his sleep in a long time, honestly. It was when Wuxian first married him, that Wuxian would have his nights but after a few weeks, he calmed down. Now, he was back to that old habit. It meant that Wuxian was actually hurting and in all honesty, Wangji couldn't even find it in himself to be upset anymore. He had enough time to calm down.

After speaking with Baoshan for a minute, he was actually starting to understand things from Wuxian's perspective. These new abilities were different and difficult to master and understand. Think about this, and how Wuxian was part dragon, he could understand. It was an accident and Wuxian would never really want to hurt Wangji. It was one moment of clouded rage and Wangji wasn't necessarily helping in the right way.

Wangji was going to make sure he knew what to do next time Wuxian lost control. He thought about the energy they shared and wondered if there was a way to do it during battle. Wangji's energy was always tranquil, even during stressful situations. He could also ask for advice from Baoshan too. He didn't want this to be a conflict between him and Wuxian. He didn't want to be upset anymore and all he wanted was for Wuxian to feel better soon.

Wuxian started talking in his sleep, "I'm sorry," he said as tears fell from his eyes, "don't leave."

"Shh," Wangji hushed him and brushed his hand gently against Wuxian's cheek to wipe the tears away, "it's alright, I am here. I will not leave."

"Don't go," Wuxian cried.

Wangji hushed him again before he began humming. The softness of his touch against Wuxian's cheek and the sound of his humming was starting to calm him down. Wangji knelt there beside the bed for what seemed like hours just humming to him and comforting him. Wangji was not worried about kneeling as it was something he was used to. He was honestly just trying to do what he could to calm Wuxian down.

"Please hold me," Wuxian mumbled.

Wangji carefully crawled into the bed beside him and pulled Wuxian close to him. Wuxian automatically wrapped his arms around the body beside him. The sudden warmth and comfort he was receiving calmed him down immediately. Wuxian shoved his face into Wangji's chest and let out a soft sigh as he got comfortable. Wangji let his right hand hold him tightly, wrapped under him and looped around his back. His left hand made its way up to the back of his head and slowly rubbed his fingers against his scalp. He laid there holding his husband, comforting him, and humming to him. Wangji eventually fell asleep holding onto Wuxian.