23. Soul Bonds

It was morning after Wangji and Wuxian became soul bonds and also became immortal. It was a rare occurrence but the two were very happy that it happened. The two woke early and dressed as they wanted to talk to Lan Xichen about their new changes.

Wangji and Wuxian went to Lan Xichen's room after having breakfast. Xichen was a bit surprised to see them so early but he didn't mind either. Though, he got curious because the two boys looked nervous for some reason, "why do you two look like you've done something scandalous?" Xichen asked in a teasing tone.

"Xichen-Ge, do not tease, this is actually important," Wuxian said.

"Oh, and why is that?" He asked.

"A'Ying and I.... Have new cores," Wangji told him.

"What?" Xichen questioned confused.

"A'Ying and I do not have golden cores anymore. They are silver," Wangji repeated.

"Immortality?" Xichen asked, "how?"

"Ugh...well through...dual cultivation. I always thought it was a myth but we also became soul bonds in the process," Wangji explained.

"It's not a myth but it is just hard to achieve. Soulmates are hard to find, especially if you just so happen to be in an arranged marriage. You two must be getting to the point where you trust each other completely and believe in one another. Soul-Bonds are very rare but they are strong together...the disadvantage, if one dies, the other does too," Xichen explained, "I am sure you do not want this getting out but Shufu needs to be informed at least."

"We know, that is why we came to speak with you. We do not want anyone to know of our new development. If they do, they could use it to their advantage," Wangji told him.

"We will talk to him when we return...also, this happened last night?" Xichen asked. Wuxian and Wangji responded with a nod. Xichen grinned, "you couldn't keep your hands to yourself, could you."

Wangji glared at him, "Ge, we said no teasing."

"Sorry, I could not help it," Xichen said.

"Xichen-Ge, since Lan Zhan and I have changed, we are going to need to train," Wuxian said, "with immortality, there are new abilities that come with it."

"I know," Xichen said and stood up from his seat, "we should gather everyone and head home. That way you two can train more privately. These changes need to be taken seriously."

The two nodded and helped gather everyone who went with them to Lanling. They then flew back to Cloud Recesses. After they arrived, Xichen, Wangji, and Wuxian went to go meet up with Lan Qiren. Lan Feng was also going with to get Haiyue.

"Shufu," Xichen greeted.

"Xichen, good to see you all arriving safely," Lan Qiren said as he handed Haiyue to Lan Feng, "she was very content the whole time. She is an easy baby to take care of. She will definitely have both of your patients and kindness when she grows."

Lan Xichen smiled, "thank you for watching her," he said, "it's good to see that she has been doing well."

"You two are both great parents already. I imagine this arrangement with the two of you may have been for political reasons but to see you both happy and in love is a good thing," Lan Qiren said and looked at Wangji and Wuxian, "same goes for you two. Wangji's relationship may be been rocky but he has been patient."

Lan Wangji nodded, "I am grateful to have A'Ying as my partner."

"That's good to hear...I am also very happy to know about A'Ying's ranking. You did well, A'Ying," Lan Qiren told him.

"Thank you all for your support and guidance through the process," Wuxian said, "though, Lan Zhan and I have made new progress in our relationship."

"Oh, and what is that?" Lan Qiren asked.

Lan Xichen placed a privacy barrier over the room before Wangji explained, "it was unexpected, but A'Ying and I became soul bonded and achieved immortality as a result. We ask for your permission to learn more about our new changes."

"Immortal?" Lan Qiren questioned. Used some spiritual energy and checked the aura of the two boys. They were pure and strong. Lan Qiren could feel the newfound energy radiating from them, "it is true. I am giving you permission. I want you to be smart about it too. Learn what you can. Use the library as your guide too."

"Thank you Shufu," Wangji said.

"Soul bonds are very precious. Though it is a gift there are risks that come with it," Lan Qiren said, "you are able to track each other through the bond and if one of you is in danger, the other will know. If one were to die, the other would too. Immortality comes with the gift of soul bonds because it helps keep you both safe and alive. You two need to be smart and focused on your training."

"We will, and we will ask for your assistance when needed," Wangji said, "we also promise to be careful in the future. We know the consequences that come with being soul bonds. Though it happened unexpectedly, we will take this seriously and make sure to we learn properly."

"Good, I trust you both," he said.

"Shufu...the issue with Wen Tuxi?" Wuxian asked.

"It is alright. These things can happen. If the Wen Sect give us a problem because of this in the future, we will get through this together. That is what family does and it is also what we do as a sect. We will protect our own. You protected yourself and in the process, those Wens died. That is on them," Lan Qiren said.

Wuxian nodded, "alright, I would just feel bad if I implicated the sect in any way."

"You do not need to feel bad, you did what any other person would have done," Lan Qiren told him, "now, you all have just traveled a good distance so why don't you go rest."

"Okay," Lan Wangji said and removed the barrier, "thank you Shufu."

Lan Qiren nodded as he watched them leave. He was impressed with how well his nephews' relationships are going now. He was glad the two made them work. He was not sure if he'd ever succeed with helping Wangji gain a partner but with Wuxian, he was able to help his nephew grow. There was still some work to do but it was all just the beginning.