42. Memories Part 3 ⚠️

⚠️Sensitive content in this chapter. Content includes, child abuse and neglect, mental and physical torture, starvation, and other forms of abuse. Please read with caution ⚠️
.
.
.
__________

Wuxian was at Lotus Lake washing clothes. As he was working, a few young disciples and Jiang Cheng were swimming not far from where he was. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until there were screams being heard. Wuxian stood up from his work and saw Jiang Cheng being dragged into the water. Wuxian dove in and swam after him. He saw a water ghoul gripping at Jiang Cheng's leg. Wuxian kicked it and brought Jiang Cheng back to the surface and to shore.

Madam Yu and Sect Leader Jiang were there immediately and brought Jiang Cheng to the infirmary, not even thanking Wuxian or checking to see if he was okay. Wuxian was only thirteen and he just saved someone's life. Not long after Madam Yu called Wuxian to her discipline room.

"I saved him," Wuxian argued.

"Saved him, you could have prevented it if you paid attention!" Madam Yu yelled, "if you were observant you would notices the ghouls before it got to Jiang Cheng!"

"I still saved him, didn't I!" Wuxian yelled back.

Madam Yu hit Wuxian across the face, "do not talk back to me again!" She demanded and dragged him to a tub filled with water. Without a word, she shoved Wuxian into the water and held him under until he passed out. She then tossed him to the floor and began to whip him. The hot lashes from the whip caused Wuxian to choke out water and wake up. He was scared and in pain. After ten lashings, Madam Yu sent Wuxian to his room without any treatment or food.

Baoshan was so angry but also in tears as her heart ached for her grandson. Instead of getting rewarded for his good deeds he was punished. Baoshan was wondering why the Jiang's were so cruel to him. She remembered that Cangse and Changze were taking Wuxian to Lotus Pier so when they died, Baoshan brought him. How did they not know that something was off?

"Unbelievable," Xichen said and looked down at the young man sleeping on his brother's lap. Lan Xichen hasn't seen Wangji cry like this in a long time. Not since the loss of their mother to be exact, "Wangji, are you okay?"

"I am trying," Wangji answered, "it just hurts."

"I know," Xichen said.

Jiang Yanli was very sweet. She'd sneak into Wuxian's room with food, and a healer from the infirmary. The healer's name was Sho Yu. Sho Yu treated Wuxian's wounds secretly. Wuxian had a fever that first night after receiving his punishment for the water ghoul incident. Wuxian ended up being sick for a week straight. Yanli was the only one who cared enough to look after him.

"Xiaoru?!" Baoshan called out.

Xiaoru came into the room and stood before Baoshan, "yes Grandmaster?"

"I want you to go to Lotus Pier and escort Jiang Yanli here. If anyone gives you any problems, you have my permission to be aggressive. Take one of my disciple tokens as it will show you have authority over the sects," Baoshan directed.

"Yes Grandmaster," Xiaoru said and left immediately.

Time skipped forward to when Wuxian was told he was arranged to be married, "you are doing this for the sect and you better do as your told. Let that Lan do whatever he wants to you!" Madam Yu demanded.

"Yes Madam Yu," Wuxian replied.

The ceremony arrived and the moment between Wuxian and Wangji played out before them. Wuxian sat on his knees and bowed to Wangji, "I hope I am not a disappointment to you."