37. Entering Celestial Pass

Stepping through a clearing the three young cultivators and Xiaoru were now face to face with Bai Ze. He was as tall as the average house. He was white, a single horn on his head, large wings. He looked intimidating but also very friendly. Bai Ze could sense the small group coming and was ready to see who these cultivators were.

"Hello, young cultivators," Bai Ze greeted, "I am sure you are wanting to pass."

"We are, but it isn't that simple, is it?" Wuxian questioned.

Bai Ze lowered his head so he was face to face with Wuxian, "You seem...familiar," he said, "and are quite smart. I do need to deem you all worthy of passage."

"How do we do that?" Wuxian asked.

"Why not start with introducing yourselves?" Bai Ze said.

"My name is Lan Xichen, sect leader to the Gusu Lan Sect."

"You seem very kind and always looking for a peaceful solution for any situation. A diplomatic approach, if you will," Bai Ze said, "I am sensing you are married to a lovely woman and you have a young daughter with a promising future ahead of her."

"You give guidance and slight prophecies?" Wuxian asked.

"I am good at reading a character just simply for hearing the person's name. Once I know the name, I know the character instantly," Bai Ze said.

"My name is Lan Wangji, I am Lan Xichen's younger brother and second heir to the Gusu Lan Sect."

"Lan Wangji, holder of light and appearing wherever there is chaos. Something so simple yet elegant and powerful," Bai Ze said, "you have a good heart and you devote yourself to your loved ones to the best of your abilities. You are also married...to this man here beside you."

"My name is Wei Ying, and I am married to Lan Wangji."

"Wei Ying, you have finally found your way back home. You have suffered a great deal of misfortunes but your future is as bright as the sun. You and your partner are soulmates, bonded into one...yet your union was not out of love at first but it was an arrangement. Your partner and his family helped you gain your confidence back and your will to keep fighting forward," Bai Ze said.

"This Magpie here is Xiaoru, he was a spiritual companion to my parents and now is a spiritual companion to me and my husband," Wuxian said.

"Xiaoru has done his part in helping you return home," Bai Ze said, "because you are Baoshan's grandson, you and your little family here are free to enter Celestial Pass. I hope you get the answers you are looking for...after you answer this little riddle."

"Okay," Wuxian agreed.

"I hurt the most when lost, yet also when not had at all. I'm sometimes the hardest to express, but the easiest to ignore. I can be blind, I can be powerful, I can be difficult, deep, complicated, and tender at the same time. I can be given to many, or just one. It grows and blossoms, it dies and wilts. It happens in the beginning and happens in the end. It can make you cry, it can make you sad, it can make you smile, and it can make you brave. What am I?" Bai Ze asked.

Wuxian smiled as he already figured it out. He looked at Xichen and Wangji, "I can answer if you two do not know," he said.

"I have an idea but you can go ahead," Xichen said.

"Bai Ze, the answer is love," Wuxian said.

"That is correct, it is love," Bai Ze replied, "you are free to pass."

"Thank you Bai Ze, and it was an honor to meet you," Wuxian said and bowed to him.

"It was a pleasure," Bai Ze said, "We will be seeing each other again."