17. Thankful

After breakfast, Wangji and Wuxian sat down with Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren to talk about what the two had talked about the day before about fan cultivation.

"I see you are doing okay with your Shijie," Xichen said.

"I am, Lan Zhan and I are going to help her cultivate but she doesn't like to use a sword. I mentioned to her that I read about a cultivation that not many people do anymore but those who do are very good fighters. I came across a book on fan and wind cultivation. Lan Zhan and I want to learn it with her and we are thinking of asking Nie Huaisang join us as well," Wuxian explained.

"That sounds like a good idea," Xichen said.

"We talked about the possibility of teaching others once we mastered it. It can be a new cultivation technique for those who want to learn it. We can bring the art back to life," Wangji said.

"We will agree to allow the classes but we want you to focus on your studies while the other sects are here. You can help train Nie Huaisang and Jiang Yanli as well, just do not let it interfere with your education," Xichen said.

"Okay," the two said, "thank you for considering it," Wuxian continued.

"Of course," Xichen said, "speaking of classes, don't you two have one coming up soon?"

"Yes, we had some time this morning to talk with you both," Wangji said as he and Wuxian stood up, "we will be heading to class then."

With that, Wangji and Wuxian walked to their class together. Since there was still a little bit of time yet, Wuxian went over to Huaisang to talk with him.

"Nie-Xiong," Wuxian greeted.

"Lan Wuxian," he said in response.

"I have a question for you," Wuxian said.

"What?"

"I am making some fans for my Shijie, Lan Zhan and me to start learning fan and wind cultivation and I was wondering if you would also like to learn it? I know you do not like using your saber so what if you used a fan instead?" Wuxian asked.

"That would be great," Huaisang said.

"It will take me a little bit to make the fans but I will let you know when they are done so we can all start training together," Wuxian said.

"I am looking forward to it," Huaisang said.

Wuxian nodded happily and returned to his seat beside Wangji. Class went on smoothly and then the two went to lunch. They then had an afternoon lecture and then went to the Jingshi afterwards. Wangji made dinner that night as Wuxian started carving at bamboo and sandalwood. Lan Wangji was thinking a bit as he was cooking. He remembered how he was so against getting married even for the first marriage. He didn't like his first marriage at all.

He thought, 'since she was now gone and I am divorced from her, I will not have to deal with this mess again.'

He was then told he was to get another arrangement for a marriage. He was angry about it. He just wanted to be left alone and to cultivate on his own and focus on his studies. When he heard that it was to a man he began to question if the sect was that desperate for another alliance. That was, until he met the man he married.

The day of the marriage was their first meeting and he was already enraptured by the man's looks. He was so surprised by how scared he was. It looked like the man was trying to be obedient and not disappoint him at all. Wangji even thought that, even though, for the first time, he had a desire to kiss someone, and touch them, he would not until he had his consent. The more he learned about him, he realized just how much he wanted to love and protect him. Wuxian wormed his way into Lan Wangji's heart. Lan Wangji loved being able to help Wuxian get back on his feet; teaching him how to read and write, help he learn more about cultivation, and even help Wuxian learn self-worth.

Wangji never expected to fall in love, and fall in love with a man, at that. He never expected to want to fight for another human being so much, and he never expected that this marriage was the best thing to ever happen to him. While preparing dinner for them, Wangji could not help but take glances at his husband. His husband sitting at his desk and working so diligently on those fans. Wuxian learned fast and he learned attentively. If he had questions, he would not hesitate to ask. He had even witnessed his uncle being more enthusiastic about teaching Wuxian.

Lan Qiren was always known to be a strict teacher, and was known for producing outstanding students. Lan Qiren was a famously pedantic and strict teacher. It was said that no matter how unruly the child was, once a person sent their child to Lan Qiren, the child would be reformed into a model citizen. As such, Lan Qiren was intolerant of any viewpoints that contradicted his adherence to rules and tradition. Wuxian was different.

No one knew what it was about Wuxian. People within the sect just took to him and loved his personality. Wuxian has his mischievous moments and they could not help but be amused sometimes about it. He also has his moments of ingenious behavior and his ability to want to make things. It was like that Lan Sect became a completely new sect because of Wuxian.

During dinner, Wangji was glad to see that Wuxian has been getting healthy. Healer Kai has been checking up on Wuxian every week just to see how he has been. Not just physically but mentally as well. Wuxian, at times, has spent a little longer than usual at the infirmary, just learning some things from Healer Kai. Wuxian wanted to learn some basic medical techniques. It was more for emergency purposes. Wuxian just wanted to be able to help out in any way he could.

Healer Kai was happy to teach him some things. Even some basics in medicine were linked to cultivating and Healer Kai was always happy to give advice on meditation and self healing. The mind was just as fragile as any other part of the body, maybe even more so. Always keeping a clear conscience will help assess the situation even keep the person from becoming too overwhelmed when making a judgment call.

Wangji was thankful, Lan Qiren was thankful, Healer Kai was thankful; the entire sect was thankful for having Wuxian apart of the family. They were very grateful for him and just like any other member of the Lan Sect, they were very adamant about keeping such a precious person protected. The sect would be completely different again if something happened to Wuxian, and that is something they did not want.