45.

A warm woody smell floated inside the broom store and the warm afternoon sun showed the dust specks dancing in the air. As I looked around I saw multiple displays for different types of brooms and quidditch equipment. In one corner they even had a secondhand section.

- Hi! Welecome to Quality Quidditch Supplies. Can I help you with something? 

A  young athletic looking boy that had emerged from behind the store.

- Oh... Hi James. Thought that the next time I'd see you on the train. Did your father agree to buy you the new Aurora V broom? 

He then noticed me and I could hear his brains trying to wrap his brain around James and me coming in together. He even moved his head to look at me and James and me again. He then seemed to come to a some kind of conclusion and turned to look at James with a smirk.

-James. I heard that you went to America for a vacation with your family but when did you manage to pick up a girlfriend? 

I could see James took a few steps back from me and shook his hand and head. 

- Thats not the case Tobias. She's my brother's friend. I'm just showing her around. And no dad said that there was nothing wrong with my current broom, so the only way that I can get a new one is if I pay for it myself. Especially since the new Aurora is so expensive. SHE wanted to get a broom. That's why we are here.

Tobias' eyes lit up. His mannerism showed he was exited to use his knowledge about flying, brooms and quidditch to match me with the perfect broom.

- Really? Okay then. How are you as a flyer? Do you have a specific concerns or requirements for the broom?

I wasn't really sure what kind of concerns I could have held about a broom but that didn't really matter. I had never flown with a broom before.

- Well I wouldn't know. I've never even touched a broom before. But for requirements, I'd like an agile broom. Great speed would also be a plus I guess.

His jaw would probably would have tropped to the floor if that had been physically possible. He didn't seem to know what to say. What I wanted from the broom didn't seem to match his idea of a beginner friendly broom.

- I'm sorry, but are you sure you can handle that kind of broom? Usually I wouldn't recommend that kind of broom to anyone that hasn't flown for less than a few years. And agile brooms are mostly used for racing. For a beginner I'd recommend something like the newest shooting star 120.

- No need to worry about that. I'm a fast learner. After all, it only took me year and a half to learn magic in general. Well- technically I have used magic subconsciously from birth to enhance my senses but thet doesn't really count.

Now bouth of the boys had their mouths open in shock. The first to talk was James.

- A YEAR? You learnt magic in a year? But your father is the Sorserer Supreme. How haven't you learnt from the cradle? We-

I put my hands on his mouth before he could finish. Papa's status or my family weren't really things I wanted to talk about with a person I had only just met. Even if that person was James' friend. Insted I leaned closer to James and wispered in his ear.

- I. Am. Adopted. This isn't really something I want to discuss here so zip it.

I looked him in the eyes as he shook his head up and down before I took my hands off of him and stood back. Looking at him from further, I realized I had let my "al Ghoul" show. James suddenly seemed weary of me. I tried to do some damage control and looked at him regretful look on my face and mouthet the words: " I'm sorry". 

Tobias seemed to catch on to the atmosphere and changed the topic back to the brooms.

- Okay- Well in that case, if you are looking for a racing broom, the Lightninbolt series is a classic. But if you are on a budjet the newest Cleansweep is a solid choice. And if you have no limits the Aurora V is the hot topic right now. It's the broom that the latest quidditch world cup champion team from Norway use. And it cmes with invisibility runes that can be turned on when flying in more visible areas.

At this point I had pretty much lost my interest in brooms and just wanted to get out and explain myself to James. So what happened was on impulse and had I not wanted out as fast as possible I wold had probably gone with the cleansweep.

- Sure, I'll take the last one. Can I pay with card?

Tobias didn't waste any time on getting the broom for me and guided me to the counter where I saw something interesting.

- What is that?

I asked and pointed at the metal object on the wall that seemed to have a ring that went around the broom.

Tobias turned to look at the object and answered.

- That is an alternative footer for the broom. It has been trending among the young witches as it allows you to sit on the broom more lady like. It's supposedly easier with the boofy dresses that have been fashionable lately. It fits the Aurora models too but isn't really used in the racing community.

He explaned. I looked at the footer for a second and made a decision.

- That'll be fine add one to my bill, pleace.

The broom was indeed pretty expensive. In my head I calculated that it was pretty close to an electrically assisted bike. Nothing that might make my parents upset but it could turn into a waste of money if I ended up not liking flying with it. But what shocked me was the fact that James was still waiting for me at the door after I thanked Tobias and turned to leave. I figured that based on what happened he might have wanted to keep a good distance between us.

As the store door closed behind us and Tobias disapeared behind the store I turned to look at James.

- James. I truely am sor-

This time it was James that attempted to put his hand on my mouth. But instead I grapped that hand on a reflex but he still managed to silence me.

- Don't be. I was being insensitive. Instead I should be sorry. I didn't realize you were adopted. Since there are potions that can allow two men to have children, it didn't even cross my mind that muggles might not have these means. And I- I'm sorry about what happened with you in the past. I might have had a good childhood, but I can see from your mannerism that you might not have had that good of luck. 

I nodded at him and gave him a genuine smile. Even though he was two years older than me and had somewhat exasperating traits, I saw him as someone I could become friends with. Atleast in the case I'd be sorted into Gryffindor with him.