21. XENA

Matteo has a comfortable lap.

We're in the back of a car, driving, I've been awake for a while now but my head is on his lap and it's the best pillow I've ever slept on.

So comfortable.

Whoever he was speaking to, they were speaking in Italian and I couldn't understand a word.

I close my eyes again. We go over a bump and he holds my face gently. I keep my eyes shut.

The window rolls down and the smell of cigarette smoke fills the air. I hate the smell so much.

The window rolls back up and he pulls a blanket over my feet. Aw, that's cute that he put a blanket on me.

We come to a stop, but then I hear Leo speak and order half of fucking McDonalds before he starts driving again.

When the food came, my stomach rumbled loudly.

I haven't ate all day. I'm probably dehydrated and that's why I have a horrible headache and I'm super tired.

They switch to Italian again.

We come to a stop and unexpectedly, I'm lifted out of the car and carried bridal style.

I hate admitting that I like being treated like a princess. My dad always called me his princess. He treated me like one too. I expect that in a man, Antonio gives that.

The scent of my home fills my senses and I hear Matteo sigh. "Fruit cup, if you don't leave. I'm going to murder you."

It was wrong of me to keep my eyes closed.

"I don't want to leave her with you while she's unconscious." Antonio replies. "No hard feelings."

Matteo stops. "Do you know who I am?"

"No... I mean... I know your gangster-"

He walks again and places me on my bed. But he leaves me on my bed and I thought he would've left me in general, but instead I hear him speaking to Antonio.

Threatening Antonio with his position and reputation.

I had a feeling Antonio left when Matteo starts shaking my shoulder gently. I open my eyes just a little bit and look at him.

God, he is so devastatingly beautiful.

"You feeling better, pretty." He puts pillows behind my back, helping me sit up.

I do have a horrible headache.

"Why is my head so sore?" I close my eyes tightly. Oh, it's so much better when I'm laying down.

"Probably becaus you haven't ate a thing all day." He puts the McDonalds on my legs. "Eat."

"What is it?"

"I don't actually know. Leo ordered it." He walks away, then walks back with pills and water.

I eat some of the fries before I take it. Then devour the burger and chicken nuggets.

He chuckles softly. "Can you tell me more about your sister?"

I stop chewing. "Why?"

"I got invited to a... thing... and a lot of the girls there will be trafficked. I just want to know about her... what she looks like and stuff. Just in case."

"She looks a lot like me, but she has lighter eyes. She's skinnier too, and probably even more so now." I take a bite of the chicken strip. "She had her belly button pierced when she was 13, so... she should have a scar there."