47. MATTEO

"So you're coming home?" Ilaria squeals. "Good, okay! Can we have a big welcome home-"

"No." I lean against the tree, looking at her freaking out. "Just something small."

"Matty, a year. You're a year sober and I'm finally seeing you again-"

"Hey, you saw me last month-"

"You were in rehab but now you're free." She jumps up and down. "I'm so exited, when will you be home?"

"Hey, is that my shirt you're wearing?"

She turns around, face dropping as she looks around. She sees me and drops everything, running to me.

"Hey." I laugh, tripping back a little bit.

"When did you come here?" She hugs me, very very tightly. "You look so much healthier and you're not so skinny-"

"I was never skinny..." I pull away. "You're gonna suffocate me."

"I'm so happy you're home." She pouts. "Does mamma know?"

"She picked me up." I mess her hair up. "Come on, Lilah and Romeo will join us soon."

"Did everyone know but me?"

"Yup, pretty much."

"Ass." She slaps my arm. "Oh. I'm so happy you're home. I actually missed you so much. Are you staying?"

I shrug. "Haven't decided yet." I drape my arm over her shoulder, walking into the house. "How is-"

"No."

I laugh, greeting the rest of my family in the dining room. Emilio and Alessio hug me tightly. Mom makes us all eat her food, she could have cooked a damn buffet.

I was building lego with Emilio when mom walks over. "Hey, can you run to the store for me? Ilaria's taking a nap and Romeo is being.... Romeo."

"Course. What do you want?" I ask.

"List of things. Your dad wants a barbecue tomorrow but I used up everything today." She takes my seat, handing me the crumpled up list.

"Can I go?" Em asks.

"Sure, come on." I wait for him to get ready and then I get into my new car.

It's a lamborghini, a sián roadster, I got it custom wrapped with a metallic black, it's so sexy. It's my first time driving it.

"You know your house is done." Emilio pulls his seatbelt over his body. "Mama and I went over to start decorating."

"Is it nice, yeah?"

"I like it. I like the pool."

I smile. "Wanna have a sleepover?"

"Obviously. The master bathroom is so cool. I like the bath, can I have a bath there?"

"If you want."

"I missed you. I'm so glad you're better."

I mess up his hair, speeding down the highway and into the local supermarket. Emilio gets the cart and I walk behind him as we walk into the store.

During my addiction, I didn't eat a lot because alcohol is just empty calories. I lost a lot of weight and just lost everything about me.

Now, I much prefer where I am. I've gained all my weight back, I started to cut all that weight two months ago so I'm focusing on muscle now.

I realised how poorly I took care of myself when I was drunk all the time. How angry and depressed I was. Being in rehab made me lonely, but it also made me feel included.