46. MATTEO.

When I wake up, Xena was by my side.

I turn around, looking at my mom and dad looking out of the balcony, and my four siblings playing a card game at the dining table.

"Matteo." Xena says, her voice cracking.

I sit up, everyone's attention on me.

What is going on.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Here." She holds a glass of water and some pills to me.

I sip them, looking at dad and mom. "What happened?"

"You overdosed on heroin." Mom says quietly.

I don't even remember taking any heroin.

"Heroin?"

"Yeah." She smiles softly. "Xena, can you leave us for a minute?"

Xena stands up, walking into my bedroom.

"You ran off in the hospital, stole a bunch of drugs and overdosed in a supply closet." Dad explains. "Nurse found you, damn lucky you were in a hospital."

"You need help, Matteo." Romeo says. "And if you don't willingly go, i'll force you too."

I look at all of them,

They've already decided I am going.

Mom sits beside me. "I'm so proud of you, Matty. How many people you saved that day, but you need a break from here."

"Y'all already signed me up."

"It's the rehab facility I went to in Italy." Dad sits beside mom. "We'd leave tonight and get you started as soon as possible."

I nod my head, looking at my moms broken face. That's one thing she didn't want. For me to turn out like dad.

He was an addict, for years.

But he found her and that was good enough to get him to stop.

"I'm sorry mom-"

"Don't you dare apologise, Matty." She chokes on her words, hugging me. "Don't apologise. You did the best you could."

Vulnerable. I end up just sobbing in her neck for a while.

"You're gonna get better, okay?" Mom says, will no my tears for me. "Dads gonna be with you."

I look at my dad. "Really?"

"Can't have you alone son. We'll stay in Italy until you're fully better." He winks. "We won't have contact for the first week while you're there but after that, it'll be you and me permanently."

I smile, then look at Luca and Roman, then my siblings. I wanted to apologise to them.

Ilaria couldn't hold back her tears and Romeo was attempting to comfort her by awkwardly patting her shoulders.

Theatrics.

Xena leaves my bedroom. "Uh. I gotta go." She looks at me.

"Thanks for helping, Xena." Mom stands up.

"Get well soon." She says as she looks at me, but walks away.

"She still doesn't know?" I ask.

"She's a clever girl. She'll piece it together." Mom hugs me again. "Go get your bag ready."

I get off the couch.

I owe Xena an explanation at least.

"I'll be right back." I walk out of the apartment quickly. I run to the elevator and make it in time, sliding in before the door close.

We're silent for a moment, but then I press the emergency stop. "I'm an addict." I blurt out.

She keeps looking at the ground.

"Xena."

"I know." She chokes on her words. "I just... I was eavesdropping." She wipes her eyes. "I can't believe I never noticed."

"Hey. No one really did."

"I spent ages with you."

"My own dad didn't find out until not that long ago." I hold her face in my hands. "It's nothing you could have noticed."

"Alcohol or-"

"Drugs too."

"But you're going to rehab?"

"I have to go."

She starts crying.

I hug her.

"I'm sorry, Xena."

"I need you here. Who's going to help me?"

"You're strong baby, you can do it yourself."

"I need you here, Matteo."

"I need to get better, Xena. I can't stay. I need help." I pull away. "You got this."

"Don't leave me." She pouts. "Everyone always leaves. Please don't leave me too."

The elevator starts again and she grabs my hands. "Please don't go."

She's in far too deep. I should have stayed away. She knew she'd get attached.

I stay silent, pulling her away from me. The doors open and I walk out, leaving her in there crying.

I am a horrible person.

I take the stairs up, pretending to be okay when I walk into my apartment. "I'll start packing."

I do that, then dad and I get on a plane to Italy, and I don't look back.

=
=
=
=
=
that's acc not slay

wc:738