67. MATTEO

I really thought I would've died.

Mom walks in, dropping whatever the fuck she was holding when her eyes land on mine.

"Oh, you're awake." She says softly, grabbing a nurse that was walking past.

I look at all the equipment attached to me and then back at her.

The nurse smiles. "Good morning, Matteo. How are you?"

I look around, slightly confused.

How did I not die?

"You've been sleeping for a while. You're bound to be confused." The nurse smiles. "I'll bring the doctor in now, Mrs. Reign, all his vitals are stable." She walks away.

Mom grabs my hand. "I was so worried about you."

"You get Oleg?" I ask.

"Romeo took care of him. He's in the warehouse, ready for when you return." She kisses the back of my hand.

"Where is Xena? Is she here?"

"Poor girl hasn't left the hospital." She smiles, eyes glossing with tears. "Can I ask why you called her?"

"You know I love you." I look at her, into her eyes. "She doesn't know I love her."

It was like she wanted that answer.

One thing mom wanted for all of us was true love. She didn't want us to just marry and call it quits. She wanted us to find somebody to cherish and love.

She found Roman, Asher and Luca.

Romeo found Delilah.

I found Xena.

Ilaria will find hers soon enough, and the twins will too.

She said the only way she would be okay with us leaving her, is if we did so out of love.

She wouldn't be mad if we died out of love.

I almost did.

"I can bring her in." Mom says, kissing the top of my head.

She leaves me, but she doesn't return for a while because the doctor came in to talk and run a few tests.

I've been out for days. I was in a cerebral hypoxia coma.

But with that, it meant I started the recovery process again.

I'll have to go back to rehab, because I wouldn't mind drinking at the minute.

When he leaves, Xena walks in.

She was dressed in a summer dress, her natural hair flowing.

I had to smile.

"I don't believe in God, Xena. But I thank him everyday for making you." I tap my head, my chest, and then my two shoulders to signify the cross.

She's not overly religious either, but her mother and father are.

She closes the door over, walking in. "I'm so-"

"Don't you dare say you're sorry, pretty." I grab her hand. "I don't wanna hear it."

"I could've got there sooner-"

"Shush. I don't care." I run my thumb across her knuckles. "I don't care one bit. I'll tell you now what I was going to tell you on the phone, okay?"

She sits on the edge of the bed, tears filling her eyes already.

I look around her eyes, lifting my hand to her cheek. She leans into my hand.