32

Becky's POV

I ran out of the mall, not caring about what other people might think of me as tears streamed down my face. What the heck was that? I saw them holding each other's hand above the table!

I knew I shouldn't act like this because I'm not Freen's girlfriend. But I couldn't help feeling hurt; I assumed that there was something between us.

I chose to walk instead of taking a taxi because I didn't know where to go. I didn't want to go back to the condo yet, and I didn't want to see Freen for now.

"Fuck!" I muttered to myself.

I ended up in an unfamiliar place, a playground. I sat on a swing and stared into space, not knowing what to do.

Freen gave me hope, comfort, and the idea of trusting again. I thought she was the person I could trust in everything. She was so genuine, especially in the way she treated me.

But everything can change in an instant, especially the trust you give to someone.

While swinging, a woman sat beside me and offered me a milk tea. I looked at her before accepting, and it was Sam.

"Sam?" I asked.

"What are you doing here, Becky?" she asked, holding her own milk tea.

"Nothing, just taking a breathe. I don't even know where this place is; I just ended up here," I said.

"This is a village. We live nearby. Luckily, I passed by and saw you here. I was on my way home," she said.

I took a sip of the milk tea and smiled at Sam. I don't know why, but I no longer felt the awkwardness that I thought I would feel when I saw her.

"Becky... I'm sorry for everything I've done that hurt you," she said, looking directly into my eyes.

I looked back at her and smiled. "It's okay, Sam. We both made mistakes."

"If only I had listened to you and hadn't rushed into doing things that would hurt you, maybe we wouldn't have ended up like this." She said.

"You see, we both made mistakes, so let's forget what happened and move on," I said.

Perhaps I am healed. Because they say you know you've moved on from someone you loved deeply when you can look them in the eyes without feeling any pain.

"How's your life? How are you and Freen?" she asked.

"What are we, Sam? We're just married on paper," I said.

"I've never seen Freen so protective before, Becky. I know there's something going on between the two of you," she said.

"There's nothing, really. Our anniversary is coming up, which means it's time to sign the divorce papers. I just hope my dad and mom won't be angry when they find out," I said.

"Don't expect them not to be angry. After all, they took a year to bring you both together, and now you're suddenly going away without them knowing. Accept the consequences and do what makes you happy," she said.

Sam was right. I'm sure they will be hurt by Freen and me's decision, but we have no choice but to accept the consequences.

"How about you, how are you doing, Sam?" I asked. She let out a sigh and looked at me.

"I'm in the moving on phase, but I've accepted that we're over and there's no chance of you coming back to me. Besides, I know leaving you alone will give you the peace you wanted. I just wanted to apologize, Becky, to you and Freen. Sorry for being immature and doing the things that hurt you," she said.

"I am happy to hear that, Sam. Just know that I have forgiven you, and my heart no longer holds any grudges against you. We both made mistakes, so we both deserve forgiveness. I just hope that eventually, you find the right person and don't repeat what you did to me. It hurt," I said.

She smiled at me and nodded. My heart filled with joy knowing that Sam and I had closure. She was once a part of my life, so I'm grateful that she's still there for me as a friend.

"By the way, why are you here?" she asked.

"I can't seem to understand what I'm feeling, Sam. I saw Freen with Yssa, and I don't know why it hurts me. Plus, the signing of the divorce papers is approaching, so I decided not to go home. Besides, I'm leaving the condo Freen and I shared, and I won't be the CEO of her company anymore," I said.

"You'll figure it out. Whatever was discussed between Freen and Yssa, still choose to be friends with Freen. She was too caring and protective of you. If she chose Yssa, then I hope you also choose to maintain your friendship. After all, you both saved each other in the first place, right?" she said.

"Let's not talk about that, Sam. Where's the nearest hotel around here? I just want to walk," I said.

"I know one. I'll take you there, don't worry. I'll walk with you," she said.

"What about your ride home?" I asked.

"Duh, there are plenty of taxis around here," she said.

I nodded and stood up. I felt happy to have someone with me during these moments because it distracted me from overthinking.

Sam had a playful side, and I always found myself laughing at her stories. I missed this kind of bonding with Sam, where it felt like we had no problems weighing us down because we were just laughing and enjoying each other's company.

"You haven't eaten yet, right? Let's grab something to eat?" she suggested.

I didn't refuse because the truth was, I was hungry. I hadn't had dinner yet, and my last meal was at the resort.

We entered one of our favorite restaurants where we used to go on dates.

"It's been a while since we've been here," I said.

A waiter who had become close to us approached.

"It's been a long time, Ma'am Becky and Ma'am Sam. Busy with the wedding?" he asked, smiling.

"That's not happening anymore," Sam said, laughing, and she proceeded to order for both of us. She knew my favorites here, so I let her take charge.

Soon our food arrived, and we fell silent, enjoying our meal. It's always a good mood when you're satisfied with what you've eaten, isn't it? The food here was really delicious.

After eating, we took a 15-minute break before heading out.

"I just finished eating, and now I have to eat again because of you," she said, holding her stomach.

"I didn't tell you to eat," I replied.

"The food here is just so good, I couldn't help it." she said.

As we walked along the sidewalk, our attention was drawn to a car that stopped beside us, and I was surprised to see Freen.

I couldn't move; I just wanted to run away from this situation. I saw myself just standing there, in a daze.

I saw Freen push Sam.

"What now, Sam?!" she immediately said.

"Chill, Freen..."

"So, are you happy now that we're not okay because you can be with her? Well, you were the one who had her first, so go ahead and have her then!" she angrily said.

"Chill, I am not trying to get her back," Sam said.

"I don't care. Just don't hurt her again. I don't know what else I can do to you," Freen said, getting closer to Sam.

I intervened and pushed them apart.

"Enough, Freen!" I said. I could see surprise in Freen's eyes, but what she did wasn't right.

"Don't ever threaten Sam like that! And what now if I go back to Sam and she hurts me again? What do you care about my life? Let me make my own decisions. You're not even my girlfriend. Let's go, Sam." I said, holding Sam's hand, and we quickly left.

I didn't know what I was feeling. I could see Freen still standing there, speechless. But for now, I didn't want to see her. I'll wait for the text from the court regarding the date for signing the divorce papers.