Part 29

Hey Pearlies, thank you so much for your votes, comments, and for adding this book to your reading list. A special shoutout to you ShiningLine siaramchandra  Rutuja208  HPfan21forever  Basha5771   Day_Dreamer023  AnanyaTiwari041  fathimasafy  xnococonutsx  isharai16   KusumLataMalik   for your lovely comments. 

...

Well if they don't like my painting it is their loss. After all, this is my first painting which must be cherished forever and ever. How about leaving it in a museum so that future generations could live with my art? Do we have a museum in Malhotra Empire? I don't think Manik is artistic to encourage creative people like us! There surely must be a register for all the people he killed. 

I scoffed. Walking inside the mansion I found Harshad in the hallway. I immediately hopped towards him in excitement and called his name to catch his attention. "Harshad!"

He stopped in his tracks and looked around him to see if there is anyone watching us. Finding nobody around he proceeded to pay attention to my words. "Look at this painting! This is my first masterpiece and many are to come in the future."

He spared a glance at the canvas in my hand and back at me. "Are you serious, Nandini? You are wasting time on this shit when I asked you to concentrate on important issues! And what the hell is with your buffoon costume?"

My smile dropped at his voice. "Sorry, but it's my first painting and I got excited."

"Painting? You call this painting?" He pushed his hair back and glared at me. "This is the reason you are of no use. All I asked you is to kill Manik and you are busy with your mad shit."

"I told you already, Harshad. I can't kill anyone. I am not trained and I am a princess." My voice almost broke at the end.  

"Yeah? Princess for what? Your dead family? I don't think you ever truly felt for your parent's demise." He stepped closer and poked my head. "Get this into your stupid brain, until and unless Manik is dead your parent's soul would not rest in peace."

He walked away from me after uttering those painful words. A sob escaped from my mouth which I tried to hold with much difficulty. I do not want anyone to see me in this state so I ran away to my bedroom and then to the door leading to the secret garden. I dropped my painting next to me on the chair and pulled my knees together to cry. I threw the tie from my forehead as I didn't care about anyone finding Manik's name on my forehead. 

I can't kill anyone. Why can't Harshad understand that? I am not a lady boss nor do I have an interest in fights. Is it true that my parent's soul is not at peace? 

I buried my head into my knees and cried more. 

I lost count of how many hours I cried and drifted to sleep on the garden bench. I woke with a heavy head and swollen eyes with the sound of sipping from somewhere around me. I wiped my eyes with the back of my palms and found Manik sitting beside me sipping his coffee. I was covered in his black jacket which explains why he is in his vest on this cold night.