79

This update is dedicated to everyone whose name starts with letter "Q"
...

My eyes widened in shock and then a huge smile broke on my face.

"Yes! It means we're destined to be together, Manik. Oh my! It's like a fairytale and I can't believe it." My heart was dancing in joy and I hugged him as tight as possible.

Surprisingly, Manik didn't hug me back which haltered my smile. I lifted my head to see his dull eyes staring at me as if it isn't a happy news.

Why isn't he happy?

My little brain started its job by recalling all the moments happened in my life from that eventful night. I always thought I was promised for Harshad, then how come it turned out to be Manik?

"Wait! How is this possible? It was Harshad right? Everyone were competing with each other to marry him. How could it be you?"

Manik sighed.

"That was a misunderstanding created by your maid. She knew you were promised to marry the son of Mr. Shrikant Malhotra who is also a prince, but she didn't have the information of the right person. I was a prince when you were promised for me, but as I became the Boss, the youngest son, Harshad had this title of Prince." He paused. "Your maid took your identity to marry Harshad and since he was not there at the party he believed my father arranged Princess Murthy for him."

"But the female soldiers also participated to marry Harshad. None of them clarified that it was you." I said not understanding anything happening here.

"I was happy that it was your maid who took your identity to marry Harshad but that was short-lived as you escaped from the headquarters to meet Harshad. I sent the soldiers to do the act and make everything sound like a hoax. Revealing your identity was a huge risk to take at that time. The entire territory was wiped overnight and if my enemies found that the heiress is alive then..." He trailed off his words.

"When did you know that I was promised to you, Manik?" I questioned him.

"I was physically present at the time you were promised to me. I was at your debutante."

I gasped.

"You knew it all along and you still let me struggle here." I moved away from the couch and paced infront of him. "You could have just announced about our promise and protected me. You insulted me by announcing that I am yours without any rank attached to my name." I paused to march towards him and latch his collar in my hands.

"I was running like a stupid and risked everything trusting that Bullock Cart. You still had the power to stop happening everything. Instead of all that drama you could have mentioned about the things you knew. If not for the world, you could have atleast told to me."

He didn't speak a word. He was looking at his shoes and not facing me which is making me angry, sad, and dizzy.

"Why did you hide this truth, Manik?" I questioned him by kneeling down next to him. I cupped his face in my hands trying to make him face me. "Tell me. Why didn't you want to give me a honorable rank which I deserved?"

You are unsuitable to be Manik's wife!

These words resounded in my head. Everyone I met till now said the same thing to me. I have no qualities to be Manik's wife.

"Is it because I don't have any qualities to be your wife?" I questioned with a thudding heart.

Manik covered his face with his palms and my heart sank in my chest.

Ofcourse! He needs someone smart like Alya. Not a stupid person like me. I am a walking mess who is expecting to marry the mighty Boss.

Oh! I am such a fool to believe in fairytales and love to make everything alright.