Chapter 40

"Checkmate!"

A peal of laughter floated in the silent lounge. Grandfather Park stared at the woman before him and a small smile hung at the corner of his lips.

Only after Jisoo got over her initial excitement did she take a deep breath and sobered up a little, "Sorry Dad!"

"For what? For winning?" inquired Grandfather Park and shook his head at her. "The student has now become the master. I should be happy about it."

Jisoo lowered her eyes and grinned sheepishly to herself, "I think I can challenge our Rosie now as well."

"That student was born a master," said Grandfather Park. "Don't court your own death."

Jisoo thought about it before nodding her head, "I should really not play with her. She wouldn't even let me win out of courtesy." She picked up the chess pieces and was about to set the board as she said, "Let's play another round before dinner."

Grandfather Park stopped her, "Wait!" Jisoo looked up inquisitively at him. "I have something important to discuss with you."

Jisoo sat straight and gave him all her attention.

"Now that Chaeyoung has married into a good family with a good husband, what have you decided?"

"About?"

"About yourself," said Grandfather Park. "Although you are adopted , I've always treated you like my own daughter. And just like I want to bring the whole world's happiness into Chaeyoung's life, I want the same for you as well. You've wasted your life raising Chaeyoung. Isn't it time to live your own life?"

Jisoo's face looked rather gloomy now as she said, "I've never said I wasted my life on Rosie. If anything, she became my reason to live all over again. And who said I haven't been living my own life?"

"Every day you're worried about Chaeyoung. Did she eat on time? Is she fine? Is she happy? When do you have time to think about yourself?"

Jisoo made a face at him, "I do all of that because all of that makes me happy."

Grandfather Park sighed at this stubborn one. "You really don't want to get married?"

"Is this my age to get married?" she shot back.

"What's age has to do with that?" questioned Grandfather Park. "You're always telling Chaeyoung how one's age can't set boundaries for what they can or can't do then how come the same doesn't apply to yourself now?"

Jisoo pursed her lips. "It's not that it doesn't apply to me. I just don't want to leave you."

Grandfather Park knocked on her head saying, "Don't want to leave me? No, my dear daughter, you just need an excuse to hold on to your memories. It really makes me want to slap you!"

Jisoo looked aggrieved to hear that. She was wondering why did he come to think of all this again? He had been quiet for the past two years and she let her guard down. What a blunder!

She slid close to him as she said, "Dad, why can't you just let me take care of you? I'm truly happy doing that."

Grandfather Park gave her a stern look, "Are you trying to repay me for raising you? Is that why you want to give up on your own life entirely?" He took a pause before adding, "Back in Australia, at least you used to leave the house. You had some activities but since the time we came here, you haven't left the house alone even once."

Jisoo bit her bottom lip before saying, "Okay. I promise I'll look for something to do for myself. But don't ever say that I'm taking care of you because I'm trying to repay you. I genuinely care about you. You're like a father to me."