Alone Together

By Fall Out Boy

I don't know where you're going

But do you got room for one more troubled soul?

I don't know where I'm going

But I don't think I'm coming home and I said

I'll check in tomorrow if I don't wake up dead

This is the road to ruin

And we're starting at the end

After saying goodbye to an awestruck Mrs. Gravette and a happy Chris, Matt and Charlie made an awkward walk back down the street to her house.

Anyone who saw them together would probably think the worse. Teenage girl with tattoo covered dude just casually strolling down the street.

"Why didn't you just drive over here?" she asked looking around self consciously.

He looked at her sideways noticing she was keeping some distance between them and was walking about a step behind him. "I felt like walking. needed to keep clear my head. I do that often."

She realized probably for the first time that this was all as overwhelming for him as it was for her. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" he asked.

"That this all happened to you."

"Nothing happened to me. I have a daughter. It'll take some getting used to on everyone's part but it's not something we can't get through," he smiled reassuringly.

"That's kind of annoying, you know." she said.

"What is?" his eyes widened with surprise

"Your positive, encouraging attitude. Is it fake?"

"No," he laughed "Why would you think that?"

"Because no one is that positive, especially about shit that's going to totally change the dynamic of their life," she added.

"I can see your point," he conceded "But I've been through enough shit to know that it passes and eventually everything works out."

"That's so inspirational," she said with a bit of sarcasm.

"You think I'm kidding," he replied "You'll see...when you're old enough."

"Now you're starting to sound like my mom," she said and then felt her face turn red at the implication of him being parental.

They walked in silence for a few seconds before she spoke again.

"You know you didn't have to throw Alec out. I hope you don't think just because you discovered that you're my dad that you get to have a say in who I date or see. Cause if you do then you and I are going to have some serious problems. "

He laughed outloud "I was wondering when we were going to get back to that."

"Well it's true," she insisted "And he may never want to hang out with me again and then that would totally be your fault."

"Good," Matt said quickly "he was an asshole."

"How do you even know that?" she asked

"Trust me," he nodded.

"The old 'I'll see when I'm older' excuse again?"

"No, I'll explain that now. All he was interested in was knowing how to get in your pants."

"That's such bullshit," she cursed and it caught him off guard "Like you've never talked a big game in front of your buddies about getting a girl in bed but totally not meant it. That's like every guy in the world."