Better As A Memory

By Kenny Chesney

I move on like a sinners prayer
And letting go like a levee breaks
Walk away as if I don't care
Learn to shoulder my mistakes
Or built to fade like your favorite song
Get reckless when there's no need
Laugh as your stories ramble on
Break my heart, but it won't bleed
My only friends are pirates
That's just who I am
But I'm better as a memory than as your man
Never sure when the truth won't do
And pretty good on a lonely night
Or move on the way a storm blows through
And never stay, but then again, I might.
I struggle sometimes to find the words
Always sure until I doubt
Walk a line until it blurs
Build walls too high to climb out
But I'm honest to a fault
That's just who I am
I'm better as a memory than as your man
,

Zoey clapped excitedly as she watched Charlie and her friends finish the song they were playing for her, a kickass rendition of Nicotine. It had been a great couple of days getting to know the little girl and having her share her band's music was just icing on the cake.

"How'd you like that?" Charlie asked, her face flushed when they hit the last note. All her friends were pretty psyched about having a real music producer listen to them play.

"I thought you guys were awesome," Zoey replied honestly.

"For a cover band, you mean?" Kate tossed out randomly.

Zoey shook her head vigorously "Some of the best bands in the business started as cover bands, no lie."

Kate lifted her eyebrow and Zoey laughed "I'm serious. Even Charlie's  dad started off singing Metallica in his garage...that looked and felt an awful lot like this."

"That's really cool," Malcolm said tapping on his drumset. "I'll bet seeing the Rev start was amazing."

Lucy looked at Zoey who was choked up, but nodded "It really was. Jimmy was one of the most original, real musical geniuses that I've ever met. One of the few."

The kids nodded at the truth.

"So do you guys ever play any gigs or anything?" Zoey asked.

"We got to play in the talent show a couple of times," Chris replied "but for the most part we kinda just jam in here. It's enough for now."

"Well," Zoey said rising "We're actually having a local showcase of talent in LA for Fueled By Ramen. We do it every so often and invite local bands to perform. Some bring their original music but most do cover. I'd think it would be great, if you guys came out."

"Really?" Charlie asked as the excitement grew around them.

"Oh totally," Zoey said "I'll get you guys some more info when I get back to my desk but I can totally have them add you guys to the list."

"Oh my fucking God," Charlie blurted and Lucy's gave her a glare "Sorry mom."

Lucy took a deep breath and Zoey spoke "We've got to go if we're going to catch our flight."

Charlie gave her Aunt an appreciative nod, keeping her mother's wrath in check.

Lucy looked nervous but rose "Okay," she said hovering over Charlie and her bass "Your grandmother is going to pick you up from Kate's after work, so don't leave. Stay here. Got it?"

The rest of the band took that as a queue to put unplug.

"I know mom. I'm not going anywhere," Charlie assured her "Geez it's not like you haven't left me to go out of town before."

"I know," Lucy said

Charlie grinned "Granted, you've never left me to chase after my father on tour before."