chapter 47

Draco's arms tangle around my waist, pulling me closer to his strong silhouette. I catch a sharp breath from the unexpected gesture.

"God, Roselee..." Draco outhales once more. His unyielding grip makes it hard for me to budge but I don't hesitate and take him into my arms.

"Draco? What— what is it?" I murmur, trying to get a look at the terrified features of his face. But Draco doesn't react. He just continues on clinging onto me, his shaking hands tensing more. I don't remember the last time Draco held onto me like this. It feels like he is going to break apart any second. Crash into millions of tiny pieces. So all that is left for him to do, to maintain the whole, is to enfold himself on me.

His embrace is so eager and bold. So needy and wanting. As if he was dying to finally wrap himself around me like this. As if it was all he ever needed. As if his comfort depends on this exact clasp. I feel his heart pounding right against mine and I sense it racing. It's way faster than my own. Way more fragile, way more desperate for support.

All of a sudden Draco's eyes cut to mine in lightning speed. Draco searches for any emotion on my own face now. All I feel is confusion. I don't understand his clinging motives at all.

"Draco, what happened?" I bring out once more but when I see how his eyes begin to blink rapidly, trying to blink away their wetness, my own heart starts to fall apart. He is crying. Draco is crying. "Oh god Draco," I rush out, wrapping my arms around his head and bury them in his hair.

Draco's hurtful sob, which finally releases itself out from his throat sinks into my ears, digging its sharpness right onto my heart, makes me gasp for air. It hurts so much. Hearing him cry. I never thought it would be this painful.

Even though our relationship has its downhills and we aren't on as good terms as I wish we were, I still care about him. I care about him more than about anyone else in this entire world. And the last thing I want for him is to hurt. Even worse, to experience him in a hopeless state like this.

The way he is afraid to let go of me, they way he holds onto me as if it's the last thing on earth. The way Draco feels like there is no way out. All of this makes my heart ache, makes it break.

I could only guess the pain he is in right now but I would let all his pain transfer onto myself if I could.

I don't know what happened, but I can guess it. Draco was gone for two days. The last time we spoke he said he needed to leave this weekend. He had a task. I can only imagine what the cruel world of darkness has forced him to see. Or worse, to accomplish.

"Draco talk to me, come on, calm down.." I whisper in a shaky voice. I am so afraid of what his fragile eyes might have seen.

"I wanted you to stay safe Roselee... all I wanted was for you to— to be safe with me—" Draco hurries out as if he was running out of time. His words are messy and in between sobs. And his voice... his voice sounds completely in horror, already breaking apart. The sound of him is so hurtful, my own eyes start stinging with hot tears. "I am so so sorry Roselee,"

"Draco— Draco everything is okay, I am safe—"

"I am so sorry for shutting you out Roselee," he continues with a shaky voice. His eyes try to find peace in mine but his tears are blurring his vision. "I thought I could keep you safe if you never knew what is going on. I just thought that.. that I could keep my life separated from yours, you.. you would stay safe." Draco explains under a tons of sobs. His words are barely understandable but I listen to every one of them. "All I wanted was for you to be safe."

The confusion is drawn onto my face with a mix of horror. I can't understand what he is talking about.

Am I not safe?