1 | chief's favorite scrub cap

S1 E1a hard day's night

S1 E1
a hard day's night

"EACH OF YOU COMES HERE today hopeful, wanting in on the game." Dr. Richard Webber, the Chief of Surgery tell the interns. Dr. Webber leads them to an operating room. "A month ago, you were in med school, being taught by doctors. Today... you are the doctors." All the surgical interns walk in and look around. "The 7 years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play... that's up to you."

Maddison Sloan looks around the OR.

Finally, she thinks.

"OKAY, MARTIN, ROBINSON, BOND Hawkins." One resident calls out his interns.

"Only 7 women out of 20." A girl with warm blonde hair says.

"Yeah. I hear one of them's a model." Maddison adds.

"Seriously, that's gonna help with the respect thing?" A Korean girl replies.

"You're Cristina, right?" The blonde asks, and the other girl nods.

"And you're Maddison." Cristina asks Maddison.

"Yep." Maddison replies, turning to the blonde. "Meredith, right?"

"Yeah." Meredith nods.

"Patton, Monroe..." Interns are called.

"Which resident are you assigned to? I got Bailey." Cristina asks.

"The nazi?" Meredith asks.

"Me too." Maddison tells her.

"Same." Meredith says.

"You got the nazi? So did I." A boy speaks up. "At least we'll be tortured together, right?" He continues when no one replies. "I'm George O'Malley." He walks up to the three girls and offers his hand to Meredith. "Uh, we met at the mixer. You had on a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals..." He trails off. "Now you think I'm gay. No, I'm not gay. It's - it's just that you were - you were very unforgettable-"