24 | whiskey

S1E2

S1E2

enough is enough

"I THINK IT'S SOMETHING to do with his mother. Maybe she always wanted a girl and gave him Judy dolls for his birthday presents." Izzie guesses.

"You wanna psychoanalyze a dude eating doll heads in the middle of surgery?" Maddison asks the girl.

"Ah, ah I've got another one." George holds up another head, making Meredith and Maddison groan.

"Doyen clamps to Yang. Grey, push the head up to the incision." Bailey orders.

"Maybe his mother looked like Judy and he's into voodoo. Instead of sticking pins in... Heh." Alex gives his guess.

"Yep. Ah." Bailey holds up a black doll head. "Black Judy. What they gave her long hair back when she had the afro. She came with 'go go' boots and a leather jacket." She continues, discarding the item. "Shame it's a real collector's item."

"Collectable dolls, what a twist." Alex replies.

"Seriously, you can identify these dolls by their heads?" Cristina asks.

"You got a problem with that Yang? I like Judy dolls. I own Judy dolls. The only problem I have with Judy dolls that are in the bowel of this man." Bailey replies, and Burke walks in.

"Bailey, I need an intern in the ER to meet the harvest donor." He tells her.

"O'Malley." Bailey nods.

"See ya, boo-boo." Cristina tells him.

"You good here?" Burke asks.

"Couple more heads to go." Bailey answers.

"Then Karev, Yang, Stevens scrub out." Burke tells them. "I need to get an answer from Seibert's son."

"Ah yes. Mod Judy. Came with a yellow vesper." Bailey removes another head, as the four interns walk out. "You know what's strange?"

"We haven't had enough strange?" Meredith asks.

"She looks a little like you." Bailey tells her.

"Oh, she really does." Maddison nods, looking at the doll, making Meredith give her a look.

"THEY MISSED DECEREBRATION." What else did they miss?" Derek tells Orsen, as he grabs the donor's chart and flips through it. "She has a tumor, ah on her brain stem right? I don't see the M.R.I. Did you do an EEG to confirm brain dead?"

"Yeah, according to Hines." Orsen answers.

"I don't know a Dr. Hines." Derek replies and Meredith and Maddison look up to see Liam approach the group.

"We have 6 patients in 3 states waiting for this woman's organs." Orsen tells Derek.

"Yeah and I'm sure they'll all be happy to know that the organs that they'll be receiving are from somebody that's actually brain dead." Derek says.

"What is going on here?" Liam asks.

"Dr. Shepherd here, is interfering with a matter that clearly comes under the head of general surgery." Orsen tells Liam "No one's going to touch her while she's alive. For Dr. Shepherd to imply otherwise-"

"I think the head of general surgery can defend himself." Liam cuts him off, turning to Derek. "What is happening?"

"Is there a problem here?" Burke joins. "Dr. William? Dr. Shepherd?"

"Yeah we have a donor who's still decerebrate." Derek replies, as Cristina also rounds the corner. "I want to do an EEG and a M.R.I."

"An expensive waste of time." Orsen comments.

"I support, Dr. Shepherd." Liam tells Burke. "If he wants to run tells, I have no problem."

"I insist on it." Derek adds, making Burke looks at him.

"You insist on it?" Burke repeats.

"I do." Derek nods.

"If my head of neurosurgery says he needs an EEG and an M.R.I..." Burke says, handing Derek the patience's chart. "Then he needs an EEG and an M.R.I."

"You realize we have 6 patients waiting?" Orsen says.

"That is not my call Dr. Orsen. Who gets the organs is up to UNOS. Who donates the organs is up to the families. Hell I've got in the O.R that's waiting for a liver that may not deserved to be saved and again that's not my call. But you want to know what my call is? Everything else." Burke turns to Derek. "The patient is yours Dr. Shepherd."

"Thank you Dr. Burke." Derek replies, turning to Liam. "Appreciate the support, Dr. William." Liam replies with a nod, and Derek starts to walk away with the patient. "Dr. O'Malley do you want to assist with this M.R.I? Carry this for me. First we'll do an EEG. George, you with me?"

Everyone walks away, and Liam and Maddison make eye contact.

He just breaks it off, and walks away.

MADDISON SLAMS THE GLASS DOWN, drinking the last of the whiskey.

"Never knew you liked whiskey." Joe comments, refilling the glass.

"I don't." The girl comments, taking another sip. "I hate it."

"She drinks it when she feels helpless." Addison comments, sitting down next to the girl.

"That might not be the reason." Maddison replies. "You think you know someone and then they go and cheat on her husband with your brother."

Addison sighs.

"Okay, Maddy, I messed up and I'm sorry. And, I know saying that won't make anything better, but I was desperate." Addison rants. "It was like I was living alone, eating alone, we didn't even fight, there was nothing there! Nothing to come home to, nothing to fight for! I just wanted it to be over."

Maddison doesn't turn to look at her, making Addison sigh and turn away. It's silent for a minute.

Then, Maddison simply picks up on of the clean glasses from behind the bar, and pours half of her drink into it, sliding the glass to the woman next to her.

Addison stares at it, then looks back at the girl talking another sip. Addison silently takes the drink and hides a small smile.