ᴵˢᵃⁿᵃᵍⁱ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

The Scent of Monsters
by: alisayamin (sh_04e)

Isagi Yoichi x Nagi Seishirou

𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘴 → assassins, mission, violence, badass
𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦 → fluff

Isagi Yoichi x Nagi Seishirou𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘴 → assassins, mission, violence, badass𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦 → fluff

Isagi squirmed in between the shrubs. He hated missions in the mountains. Camping and waiting out for their target was tedious work. Finally, Isagi found a nice relaxed position after he moved some twigs out from under his torso. He looked through his scope once more and adjusted the sniper rifle and bipods to focus his aim at one precise location – the door to one of the bunkers in the main base.

Raichi and Gagamaru were already at their own positions with the same mark. This mission involved a high risk target that they couldn't afford to let slip past them again. Niko's team already failed once.

"I'm in position," Isagi informed his team.

"Bout time, you little shit!" Raichi's shout burst through the com.

Isagi couldn't help but snicker to himself. That hothead never changed. It's not like Isagi was late on purpose. He drew the short end of the stick yesterday and was the only one who had to climb to high ground. Isagi pulled back the operating rod of his gun and engaged the safety catch. From the high vantage point, he would have the clearest shot of their target if his teammates missed.

"Kuon, you good?"

"Yeah, just give me a sec."

Kuon was in charge of the distraction to lure their target out. Once the signal was given, the three snipers would lie in wait and shoot the moment their target came through those doors.

Seconds ticked by into minutes. And no signal was given.

"Kuon, we're waiting on you," Gagamaru urged.

But Kuon did not respond.

Isagi suddenly had a bad feeling about the whole mission. Now that he realized, he noticed that the base was too quiet. Isagi took the risk and looked away from the door to instead scan the whole base with his scope. There were no movements on the ground despite the base bustling with activity just yesterday during the team's first scout. It was almost like no one was home.

Isagi looked away from the telescopic sight of his gun. "Something's not right. Raichi, Gagamaru, we need to retreat. This might be a trap."

"The heck you crapping abou-"

Raichi was cut off by a loud explosion that visibly occurred near the base. They could hear the rustle of trees and the telltale sign of smoke from a growing fire.

"Was that... supposed to be the signal?" Gagamaru asked slowly as though confused.

"No..." Isagi whispered gravely because he knew that one of his teammates' position was exactly where the explosion had occurred. The distraction was not supposed to be that big or that loud. Which meant- "KUON!"