ᴿᵉᵒⁿᵃᵍⁱ 𝐃𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐫𝐚𝐛𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬?

𝘋𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘳𝘢𝘣𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘥𝘪𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴?
ʙʏ: ꜰᴀɴɢɪʀʟ_ᴄ

━─┉┈◈❖◈┈┉─━

𝐑𝐄𝐎 𝐌𝐈𝐊𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐱 𝐍𝐀𝐆𝐈 𝐒𝐄𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐎𝐔

🅷🅴🅰🆅🆈 🅰🅽🅶🆂🆃

ᵗᵃᵍˢ : ˡᵒⁿᵉˡⁱⁿᵉˢˢ, ᵗʳᵃᵍⁱᶜ ˡᵒᵛᵉ, ᵇⁱᵗᵗᵉʳˢʷᵉᵉᵗ

"I wanna show you the Eiffel Tower."

Nagi was looking down, staring at his face. He couldn't stop staring at his face.

"Yeah, we should go in Spring."

Reo's eyes were tired. "I wanna go on lots and lots of dates with you."

"Anywhere you want, Reo. We can go anywhere you want."

"I want us to live together. Somewhere that's just ours. With Choki sitting on the windowsill."

Nagi held him tighter. "Let's do that, Reo. I can start looking for apartments as soon as we get back."

"I want to marry you," Reo continued, as if he hadn't even heard him at all. Nagi had to hope that he could still hear him. "I want us to grow old together."

"Of course, Reo. We'll get married. We'll be together forever. We promised."

Weakly, Reo tilted his head up to look at him. His smile was sad. "Stop it, Nagi," he reprimanded him fondly. "We both know I won't get to do any of those things."

"Of course you will," Nagi said. "You'll be fine, Reo. Reo is amazing, so he'll recover. Reo can do anything he puts his mind to."

Reo laughed, or breathed something that could've been a laugh, the movement of his chest so weak Nagi barely felt it. "Not this time, Nagi."

Nagi felt a shredded wound where his heart should've been. He shook his head and held Reo closer, pressing him harder onto his chest as if that could make him keep him.

Reo tried to laugh again and closed his eyes, nuzzling his face closer to Nagi. "You're so stubborn. You should've left me days ago."

It was a fight they had often, ever since they ended up stranded here, ever since they realized Reo's leg injury was so bad he couldn't walk, ever since the wound got infected and he couldn't move any longer.

Nagi remained with his back against the cave's wall, Reo sprawled on his lap, cradled against him.

"I will never leave you."

"Yes, you will," Reo said calmly. It was eerie to see Reo, someone once so passionate and full of emotions, seem so calm lately. It had been days since he'd had energy for much, but this was more than that. This was acceptance. "You have to go out after I'm gone, okay? You're a genius, so I'm sure you'll be able to survive long enough to find help. You'll be fine and you'll grow to do great things. I'll be so proud of you."

Nagi swallowed the lump in his throat. "I don't wanna do great things if you won't be there to watch me do them."

For a few seconds, there was no response. Reo's breathing was getting weaker, and Nagi could see his face contorting with effort, as if he was actively using strength to keep his chest moving.

"I'll be there," he whispered more than said. "I'll be watching you, my treasure."

Reo seemed to fall asleep after that. He didn't say anything about the teardrops that fell on his face, and no matter how much Nagi called for him, how desperately he repeated his name, Reo didn't respond.

Nagi stared at his chest. For who knows how long, he did nothing but that. In, out. He watched him breathe. In, out. In, out. In, out.

In, out. In, out.

In.

Out.

...

...

...

Oh.

It was a beautiful, bright morning when Mikage Reo died.

Nagi held Reo for hours, as unmoving as his body. The sunlight turned orange with dusk, then a pale blue, and then black until there was just darkness. Normally, Nagi would've built a fire. He didn't. He didn't move.

Nagi couldn't even see Reo's face anymore. He still held him. Held him to give him his warmth now that he couldn't produce any. Held him until he grew as cold as the only person he'd ever loved.

Nagi Seishirou closed his eyes that night.

He never opened them again.

White.

There was white everywhere. Under his crossed legs and as far as the eye could see. An endless nothing. Quiet. Calm. Empty.

No, not empty.

There was a presence. It didn't make a sound, but Nagi sensed it, because he would always sense it, he was attuned to it more than he was to his own heartbeat, his own mind, his own being.

There never was a me without him anyway.

Reo. Reo was there standing to his side with his hands on his hips, smiling. So dazzlingly beautiful that it blinded Nagi more than all the shine around him.

Reo tilted his head, staring at him fondly. "You idiot. I was going to wait for you, you didn't have to hurry."

Nagi's legs stood up and ran. He threw his arms around the other boy, digging his face in his neck and holding him so tight it could've hurt, but nothing would ever hurt again.

"Reo," Nagi choked out, "I'm home."

Reo's arms wrapped around him, and Reo's hand, gentle as always, slid up to his hair to pet him.

"Yeah." The love in his voice warmed Nagi forever. "Welcome home."

━─┉┈◈❖◈┈┉─━

this hurt me in every way possible-

𝘾𝙍𝙀𝘿𝙄𝙏𝙎 :
Fangirl_C in AO3
https://archiveofourown.org/works/49291612