ᴿʸᵘʳⁱⁿ 𝐏𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐑𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬

Paper Rings
by: Shidouryuzesty

Shidou Ryuusei x Itoshi Rin

𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘴 → childhood friends, memories, growing up, soulmates, OOC
𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦 → fluff

Rin remembers the day that Shidou Ryuusei infested his life, the day he came to Rin's primary school with his bright pink backpack and sharp edged teeth to establish himself in the quiet garden that Rin had come to love

It wasn't as if new students coming in was odd– but on an especially warm day in mid autumn, Rin doesn't expect for a certain antennaed boy to dive into his life as though he was an ocean for the others' exploration pleasure.

Rin supposes, thinking back on it now, it was ironic how Shidou had burst into his life like a pit of flames during his favourite seasons of all times.

Rin doesn't believe in fate, but he supposes maybe, now that he's old enough to differentiate between pure chance and hard earned outcomes, meeting Shidou laid in between the two.

Neither chance nor meant to be, just a simpler, more realistic version of fate.

Rin knows they would've met at one point or another, one universe or another, and he thinks that's what he can consider fate.

"Class, this is Shidou, I hope you will all give him a warm welcome. Shidou, dear, go sit next to Rin"

She pointed to Rin with her nails painted white, setting up the two of them for a fate that neither could've predicted. Shidou has a grin on his face that's devilish enough to make Rin squeamish, and he's met with his new desk mate.

"Hi! I'm Shidou!" The boy boisterously exclaimed, triumph oozing from his tone.

Rin simply smiled and nodded, "Nice to meet you, Shidou"

Shidou was an enigma that seeped his way into all aspects of Rin's life like a venomous liquid, pumping through his veins so deep Rin couldn't claw him out if he even tried.

"Hey RinRin! Let me come home with you!"

Shidou had chased after Rin after school, ignoring the tight lipped smile Rin had sent his way. Rin was taught to be respectful and never let his anger show, but Shidou made that task more difficult than it should be.

Rin remembers how Shidou clung to him like a little kid despite being the older one, he remembers how Shidou only stayed with him. It's only now that Rin realizes the sharp words and teasing looks that the other kids would give Shidou— whether it be for his hair or his eyes, his skin or his clothes, there was always something that had him hiding behind Rin, as though he was a shield.

He supposes he was, metaphorically, at least.

"Hey RinRin! We should partner up for the environmental project!" Shidou said with a grin, practically bouncing on his heels as Rin sighed and organized his papers,