ᴿⁱⁿˢᵃᵉ 𝐏𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮¹

Pieces of you
by: S (LunarityPrince)

Itoshi Sae x Itoshi Rin

𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘴 → hanahaki disease, its not what you think-
𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦 → angst

Waking up from a nightmare is always terrifying, unless there is someone by your side to keep you safe from the demons of your own mind

"Are you... real?" Rin inquired, believing that this is nothing more than a mere dream. Because, no way, Sae has grown out of being the kind brother that would be there by Rin's side whenever he wakes up from a scary dream.

At this Sae raises his brow, mocking concern but also genuine one in his voice, "Unless you're delirious, no, I'm not." He looks at Rin like if he were to ask anything else he might actually get concerned if his head was alright.

Rude bastard.

(It's in their genes)

But Rin doesn't give up, blaming the fever, still bewildered, "Are you really here, Nii-chan ?"

And it clicks to Sae. It's the fourteen year old Rin asking him. The one he had so cruelly abandoned in the shackles of icy winter.

When they are vulnerable people turn back to their younger, still unbroken and naive self.

Oh Rin... He bites his lip, setting the spoon down from where he was cooking before turning around and sitting on Rin's bed, it all happens too quickly. Next thing he knows his shoulder is wet, small sobs and shudders within his embrace— Rin was weeping.

Heart laid bare, with all its scars and thorns on it.

The heaviness of life without a evident part of you. There is a fine line between love and hate, to Rin that line was never crossed, no matter how much he had wished to do it. He couldn't truly hate his brother.

"It's okay, Rin. You're not alone anymore." He doesn't say— I'm here— because it would be too cruel. He doesn't make any promises, because that would be too heartbreaking. Instead he knows Rin won't have to be alone anymore. He has so much more now, the sixteen year old Rin is not the same as the one from the past where his brother was his only friend.

Rin shakes his head, "But I am, I'm so alone Nii-chan. It's so lonely." Sae pulls him impossibly tighter, closer, "I wanted you to come back, but I was also scared if you did. If I disappoint you again, if I'm actually the one who ended our dream. I wanted you to never turn back but I also wanted to reach you."

Sae listens, his breath even with Rin's, erratic and dizzying, crying silent tears of regret and grief. He left Rin with a thousand scars, leaving him out to bleed all alone, he went from being a bright star to a disaster to Rin. And Rin still loved him, no, not the same, there was something bitter in it now, but just as much.