02

I groan, at the feeling of something heavy pressing on my chest– it pulls me out of my sleep and my eyelids flutter open

Everything around me is still blurry, and I can make out the figure of someone looking at me but I'm not sure, so I ignore thinking it's probably nothing.

But then I smell the strong aroma of something being cooked which fully jolts me awake, causing my eyes to snap wide open.

Nini has no culinary skills whatsoever.

Her attempts to cook either result in me having to eat burnt food or the something inside the house burning down.

That may sound like a joke, but our local fire department has both me and Nini on speed dial and we've even been invited to a couple of their christmas parties.

Looking around frantically, I see that I'm not in my own room, or my bed. I'm in someone else bed, but not only that but I'm face to face with young girl, who looks... seven or eight?

She has shoulder-length, strawberry-blonde hair that frames her round face, and her wide, jade green eyes stare directly into the depths of my soul. Her face lights up with a smile when she see's I'm finally fully awake.

Remaining nestled in my bed, I sulk in discomfort, hoping—no, praying—that I still have clothes on.

If I don't... I'm going to be having a very awkward conversation with a certain man.

"Hello !" She exclaims cheerfully, waving her small hand in my face. 

"I'm Skye," she introduces herself.

"Nice to meet you, Skye," I give her a warm smile. I greet Skye, not wishing to come off as impolite.

I fidget around, and desperately I try to put the peices of what happened last night, but I just keep drawing blanks. My mind feels like it's a muddled haze.

How much did I even drink last night?

Surely not enough to make a stupid decision with a father. 

No hate to the fathers out there, but I certainly am not looking to deal with a man with kids right now or ever.

As good as I may be with them, (as people like to tell me) being with someone who has a kid is just a pile of stress that I am not looking for in a relationship. I've had more then my fair share of stress in a  relationship

"If you wouldn't mind, could you... uhm?" I begin, pausing briefly, clearing my throat.

"Could you please move off my chest?"

"You're starting to suffocate me." I let out a light chuckle, avoiding any hint of annoyance.

"Oh !" She exclaims with an endearing giggle.

With a gentle slide, she gets up from me, her hands folded behind her back. "I'm sorry." She twists the heels of her foot, looking away from me. 

I sit upright, clutching the blanket protectively against my chest (just to be safe) and offer her a reassuring smile.