52

Ines folded her arms and raised her sunglasses, placing them on top of her head

Ines folded her arms and raised her sunglasses, placing them on top of her head. "So you're the reason I couldn't see my daughter," she said with a sneer, glancing back and forth between me and Nini.

"Of course," she laughed, shaking her head disapprovingly at me.

As if it were my fault.

Skye and I had waited for three hours for her to come pick us up, only for her to not show up because she was too busy with something else.

What could be more important than taking care of her own daughter?

Then again, there were many things about this woman that I didn't understand.

"Nice to see you, Ines." I mustered up a smile to greet Ines, determined to be polite because Skye was standing beside me, watching all of this.

Ines ran her tongue over her teeth and said, "I can't say the same." I muttered.

I bit my cheek to stop myself from speaking. Ines leaned down, attempting to catch a glimpse of Skye. "Skye, darling, why didn't you come see mommy?" She frowned, but her heavily botoxed face barely allowed any movement.

Skye held onto my leg, her tiny nails digging into my bare skin. I gently patted her head to reassure her that I was there and that it was okay for her to loosen her grip, and thankfully she did.

I didn't feel like peeling her nails out of my skin.

I could see her jaw tense up, but she eventually stood up and fixed her jacket before giving me a disapproving glare.

She straightened her jacket, trying to compose herself.

"I can tell you've already had a negative influence on her," she commented, motioning towards Skye, who was still hiding behind me.

"As expected," she added with a smug look, returning to her trademark stance with her arms crossed over her chest.

Yeah, right, I'm the bad influence.

Whatever helps this women sleep at night

I inhale deeply and pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to keep my cool. "Look, I don't want to argue about this right now," I say, shaking my head in frustration.

Ines glares at me, growing more agitated."Why not? Are you scared? Upset? Afraid of causing a scene?" Her face turned red with each word.

"Because you're simply not worth my time," I respond with a casual shrug.

She stared at me with a mix of surprise and disbelief, as though the words I had just spoken were completely foreign to her.

"There's a little girl here, and I don't want her caught up in our adult issues," I explained, holding Skye protectively against my leg.

"If you have any issues with me, say them when she's not present," I said, and she let out a dismissive scoff in response.

She didn't bother to continue the conversation, and I didn't see the point in wasting any more time talking with her.