25

"Mrs

"Mrs. Vanderbilt, it's so nice to see you here." I greet her with a warm smile, pressing kisses to both her cheeks. 

In return, she reciprocates the gesture.

"Darling, not a chance I'd miss this," she remarks while adjusting her purse.

"I mean, who'd miss the opportunity to have you as a model in their magazine?" Mrs. Vanderbilt says this while raising an eyebrow, obviously hinting at something.

With a chuckle and a subtle shake of my head, I choose to overlook it.

"That's very kind, Mrs. Vanderbilt, but I'm swamped at the moment," I lie smoothly, and fortunately, she buys it.

She exhales softly and sadly, crossing her arms together. "Upsetting, but it was worth a try."

Mrs. Vanderbilt lets out a soft, disappointed sigh and crosses her arms. "Disappointing, but it's worth a shot."

"You have my number, right?" She asks, and I nod. "Well, give me a call when you're less swamped up." She waves before departing, and my smile fades, returning to the frown I wore before.

I look around cautiously, making sure I was alone before slipping through a back door.

Underneath the shimmering twinkle of distant lights, I approach a fountain, and pull my phone out and dial a number, my heart quickening as it rings for a while.

Until finally, her voice soothes the racing beats within me.

"Abi, you didn't miss the call." Skye exclaims happily.

A smile graces my face, and began to walk around the fountain. "Of course I wouldn't miss the call, sprout."

"I told you, same time every week."

Skye's excitement is palpable even through the phone. "I thought maybe you were busy or something."

I chuckle softly, the fountain's gentle glow from above casting a calming aura. "No chance."

"I always make time for our calls."

"How was your day?" I ask.

She launches into a detailed account of her day, her voice bubbling with enthusiasm.

I listen intently, and every now and then, I interject with a question or a comment.

Every week, like clockwork, Skye and I have our daily phone call. 

She tells me all about her day, and she tries to listen to me explain my day, but I know I bore her, so I just keep it as short as I can for her.

Telling her the parts that I know would excite her.

During these conversations, I've intentionally avoided any mention of her father. 

It's a deliberate choice on my part, I really do love this man, and I know that it may not seem like that with how long I have been away from him.