21

"That man is such a fucking mama's boy

"That man is such a fucking mama's boy." Nini exclaims with frustration, her voice echoing through the kitchen as she rummages through my fridge.

I ignore her loud voice and keep my attention focused on the floor rather than the TV she turned on for me.

It was playing my favorite movie, but I didn't feel like watching it.

In fact, I don't feel like doing anything.

I curl up, drawing my knees closer to my chest, and release a soft, melancholic sigh.

What did he want me to do?

Let those women continue to treat me like shit and deal with it.

Hell to the fuck no.

I don't care what that woman is to him.

I am not going to go through that again with another mother-in-law.

if I even want her to be my mother-in-law.

Oh my god, what am I even talking about?

Am I really going to let this woman come between my love for Domenic and Skye?

I contemplate this, and my mind feels like a whirlwind of emotions, struggling to make sense of it all.

So I do the only thing I know I can do.

Wait.

Nini joins me, taking a seat on the couch and offering me a pint of ice cream. "I haven't seen a mother in law that bad since Sean's," she tells me.

I roll my eyes at her.

Domenic's mother is a terrible woman, but compared to Sean, she's practically a saint– and unlike with Sean I'm not going to end our relationship because of just that.

There were so many things that made us drift further away from each other, and his mother was simply the icing on that cake.

My love for Domenic is consuming, and just being away from him is like a physical ache.

But right now, I believe what we need is some space to sort things out. 

Domenic should take the time to mend his relationship with his mother and clarify my role in his life to her, and show her that I am not less then his ex-wife.

I'm better then her, because unlike her I'm here to make sure his daughter and he are happy, and that should be the only thing in the world that she cares about.

I attempt to shift my attention to the ice cream, but the weight of the situation keeps dragging me back to that dreadful dinner.

Why does she need to hate me?

What did I do to her besides give her son and granddaughter all the love they desperately needed?

That should make her only love me more, because I am the person who brought that beautiful smile back to her granddaughter's face, and I have become a great role model for her.