38

Eniola had taken Abidemi away from me for what felt like an eternity

Meaning that I had to be left to my own devices longer than I would've liked.

Women who were not at all interesting to me constantly tried to flirt with me during that time, but of course I paid them no attention.

Sometimes I forget how persistent women can be when they want something.

Whether or not it's taken by someone else.

And in all honesty, since Abidemi is not interested in getting engaged, I think I'm going to opt for something more casual.

Like a promise ring.

It would be a nice gesture, and it will let everyone else know she is mine and I am hers, and nothing will ever come between us.

As I stood near the bar, sipping on my champagne, I cringed at the familiar sound of her voice.

I had hoped to avoid her at all costs until the weekend. 

But, of course, my hopes were dashed.

It's not surprising for her to be here at one of the hottest events of the year.

But damn, why did she have to show up?

Couldn't she have caught a cold, sprained her ankle, or something?

Why did she have to be within hearing distance?

My mood instantly soured, and my girlfriend was nowhere in sight to make me feel better.

With an empty glass in hand, I decided it was time for a stronger drink.

It was only a matter of time before she approached me and said something, as she always did.

This woman just couldn't seem to understand what divorce meant. We were over and done.

There is no chance of us ever getting back together.

Even if we were the last two people on earth—no, not even then.

If I were dying from a painful disease and only she had the cure, I still wouldn't take it because just being around her would kill me instantly.

She has a knack for ruining things before even getting close to them.

It's insane how one woman can be responsible for so much heartache and hate, yet here we are.

I motioned for the brunette bartender and asked for something stronger.

He suggested a Bowmore scotch, and I shrugged, not really caring what it was as long as it was strong. The bartender poured it over ice in a tumbler and slid it towards me. I took a small sip, savoring the smooth taste. 

Just the way I like my scotch. 

As I leaned against the bar, my mind couldn't help but wander back to Abidemi and Eniola.