40

I glared at her, my eyes narrowing in disbelief

I glared at her, my eyes narrowing in disbelief. "I never thought you would attend events like this," I stated firmly, crossing my arms and maintaining a defensive stance.

She tried to move closer, but I kept a close eye on her feet, taking three steps back for every one step she took towards me.

She ran her dark red claws through her dirty black curls, a sight that disgusted me more than her presence. 

"It's not so bad coming once in a while," she said with a wicked grin. "Especially if it boosts my popularity," she added, making me want to roll my eyes at her statement.

"That's all that matters to you, huh?" I raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Being popular?"

"It's the only thing that matters," she replied with a smirk, gazing at me intently.

I returned her glare, shaking my head in disappointment.

As we stood there, Abidemi's words circled in my mind. 

How did I ever end up married to someone like her? 

When did she become this kind of person, or was she always like this and I just didn't see it?

Maybe love and our child blinded me. 

Either way, I hope she stays out of my life for good. 

I can't handle dealing with her again. 

"You're evil," I said through gritted teeth. 

She just rolled her eyes at me, unfazed. "I'm realistic," she replied with a laugh, as if that justified her behavior.

 "You hate facing the truth," she remarked. "Keep living in your fairy tale world," she sneered with a shrug, as if none of this mattered to her. 

"But it will all come crashing down eventually," she warned with a menacing smirk, and fear ran through my body, but I didn't let it show.

I raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Is that a threat?"

She chuckled softly, folding her hands together, and replied, "Just a heads up." 

Ines flashed a smile at me, but I couldn't help but feel suspicious.

"I don't know why you would even think I would bother threatening you," she said, placing a hand over her heart. "I have better things to do."

"Like, be a bitch."

"Well," she scoffed, turning her head away from me as if my words had stung her, even though she had said much worse to me before. "How rude."

"I'd watch your tone," I warned as she pointed her long nail at me. "Especially since your girlfriend seems to be getting cozy with her ex." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"How do you know?"

Ines smiled smugly, clearly pleased with hitting a nerve.

She hadn't, but what else does this woman have going for her? She finds joy in the smallest things because she has nothing better going on in her life.

"The cameras talk," she said, gesturing towards the crowd before walking away.

As she left, I sat down heavily in a nearby chair and tapped my fingers on the table, using my free hand to prop up my head.

I try not to care because I trust Abidemi completely. 

She would never take back her cheating ex, who was an asshole jerk and hurt her with his lies.

But deep down, I can't help feeling a twinge of jealousy as she spends time with him instead of me. 

I quickly scan the room, and of course, it doesn't take long to spot her.

So like an idiot I make my way towards her with longer strides than usual. 

When I reach them, I place a hand on her waist and pull her close to me. 

She relaxes at my touch but remains guarded around the man in front of us.

"Abidemi, who is this?" I ask, keeping a cold stare fixed on him. 

"My ex-boyfriend, Sean," she answers. 

He grins smugly, showing off his top row of teeth, and extends his hand for me to shake. "And you are?" He asks with a hint of arrogance. 

I hesitate for a moment before firmly gripping his hand. "Her fi-."

"My boyfriend," Abidemi interrupts, cutting off my response. 

We finish the handshake, and she looks up at me with a smile that tells me she'll be dealing with me later.

"My loving boyfriend," she emphasizes the last word.

I let out a soft sigh and shook my head, taking in my surroundings. I listened as she spoke to this man, but also made it clear that she was mine. 

"You're not married with kids yet? That's surprising," he chuckled, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Are you still waiting for something better?" He smirked, but she remained emotionless, just staring at him.

My brow furrowed. "Are you really going to say that in front of me?" I took a step towards him, but Abidemi placed a hand on my chest to stop me.

"Domenic, calm down."

"I don't need you fighting my battles," she spoke firmly, her brow furrowed. "I can handle myself."

"But–"

She cut me off with a stern tone. "But nothing."

"I can do it, okay?" She whispered.

I looked into her eyes and suddenly felt the anger dissipate, as always.

One look into those eyes and hearing her voice always calmed me down.

"I just don't want to–"

She smiled and tapped my chest as if she knew what I was going to say before I said it. 

"I know."

"Trust me, I know," she chuckled, "but it's just Sean," she said, loud enough for him to hear. 

He seemed shocked and a little hurt by her words.

"It's fine, I've already taken care of him myself multiple time," she added with a wink, and for a moment, I thought I saw fear flicker in his eyes.

Whatever she did to him, it must have really affected him, bad.

I nodded in agreement and removed my hand from her waist, running it through my hair, I adjusted myself, "I'll be at the table if you need me."

"Don't worry, hot stuff."

"I'll always need you," she replied with a soft smile.