08

"Dad, what are you doing?"  Skye's voice emerged amidst a faint cough

"Dad, what are you doing?" Skye's voice emerged amidst a faint cough.

I dashed to her side, my forehead unconsciously meeting her skin's warmth.

"Sorry," I chuckled, a trace of worry creeping into my tone. I watched her tug at the blanket draped over her shoulders. "But I think I should be asking you that question."

"I was bored," she replied, shifting the blanket's folds. "And you were making lots of noise."

"So what are you doing?" She strained her neck, attempting to steal a glimpse of the bustling kitchen behind me.

Swiftly, I shifted my frame, blocking her view. "It's a surprise." I said, a smile curving my lips.

Skye groaned, her head falling backward. "I hate surprises," she said, her foot stomping on the floor in frustration.

"And I can't seem to understand why,"

"They're amazing," I exclaimed with enthusiasm.

She folds her arms tightly across her chest, her icy gaze locking onto me with the intensity of an arctic wind slicing through my spine.

It's a familiar, loveless expression, reminiscent of the one her mother used to send my way when I realized that our love had gone.

Now, it's the same look she gives me whenever she comes to collect Sprout.

I guess Skye did take something after her.

I pretend to cover my eyes to shield myself. "Jesus Christ."

"Go sit down before you kill me." I joke.

She shakes her head, then pivots toward the couch. "Don't burn the house down," she yells.

"I should be telling you that," I shout back, chuckling.

Without looking back, she settles onto the couch, grabs her iPad, and resumes her coloring.

Taking advantage of her distraction, I return to my work in the kitchen.

Today would be the day Skye and Abidemi's official meeting.

When they first met, (according to her) their meeting had been far from ideal, and she thought this would be a great fresh start.

Even though I thought their first meeting was perfectly fine.

But that's just me.

The kitchen bore witness to my culinary frenzy, an assortment of snacks laid out in, alongside a list of movie options that I didn't really care much about.

What truly occupied my thoughts was the fact of her spending the night, nestled in my embrace, having both my girls so close to me.

I paused, taking a rare moment think.