26

My eyebrows furrowed in annoyance as I stared at Domenic standing in front of me

My eyebrows furrowed in annoyance as I stared at Domenic standing in front of me. "What the hell are you doing here?"

He looked too fucking happy– and handsome– to be here, especially at this event, my mummys event by the way.

I couldn't understand why he seemed so happy when on the inside I was basically drowning in misery inside. 

Or maybe he wasn't as happy as he looked... maybe he was trying to hide his hurt from me

A smug smile spread across his face as he pushed back his perfectly styled hair, "I was invited, you?"

I quickly crossed my arms and eyed him, making sure to keep a safe distance between us.

Right now I couldn't afford to let my guard down.

Because Domenic– he had a tendency to catch me off guard with his surprises.

As much as I loved the thrill of it, I couldn't show him how much I craved it.

I let out a deep sigh and shake my head, "It's my mummy's event,"

"Sadly, I had to be here," I shrug, trying to hide my annoyance.

"Sadly?" He asks, raising an eyebrow in question.

"You think I want to be stuck here, playing hostess when I could be–"

"In my arms again?" He interrupts me with a pained look in his piercing jade green eyes.

I bite my lip and turn away from him, trying to hide my expression but It's always been hard for me to keep my emotions in check around him.

And I just don't know why.

I used to never have a problem when it came to hiding my emotions, but since meeting Domenic and growing close with him and his daughter, I struggle to hide anything.

Honestly it was like everything that I had once been so amazing at, left the deeper I became engraved in their lives.

And as I think about, they weren't really good things.

But I still hated how much he changed me, even if it was for the better.

God this man makes emotional and confused, and I hate it but secretly I love it.

His fingers reached up to the back of his neck, scratching nervously as his eyes shifted away from me. "I'm sorry, Abidemi, I didn't mean to make you upset." He said in a gentle voice

I furrowed my brows in confusion and caught a glimpse of my reflection in the nearby window, quickly adjusting my expression to hide any emotion.

"Your fine Domenic," I fidgeted with the fabric of my dress as Domenic's words sank in. 

He stood in front me, his body tense and his eyes avoiding mine. 

My heart raced as I tried to think of something to say, anything to keep him from leaving.