23

"What did you just do?" she whispers, as I slowly shut the door, my eyes fixed on Abidemi's disappearing car, disbelief gripping me

I find myself leaning against the door, a heavy weariness settling over me. "We're on a break," I murmur, the words tasting bitter.

Was that reality, or did I just witness a surreal nightmare unfold?

All those words I said, the actions I took—did they truly happen, or was it an alternate dimension?

Did I sabotage what unquestionably was the most meaningful relationship of my life?

All because my mother's ominous threat loomed over me, her alliance with Ines poised to snatch custody of my daughter if I resisted.

As if I didn't have the best lawyers at my beck and call or friends that would be able to get me out of any situation I needed.

What the actual fuck is wrong with me?

I didn't fight, nor did I drop to my knees to plead for mercy, I just stood there, a observer, letting it all unravel like a fucking fool.

Domenique arches an eyebrow, a glint of surprise in her eyes. 

"A break?" She tilts her head, her lips curving into a wry smile. "Is that like the diet version of a breakup?"

Her attempt at humor barely registers with me.

I'm too lost in my own thoughts, replaying every moment that led to this.

My footsteps echo softly as I walk to the kitchen, placing my coffee mug carefully on the counter.

After collapsing onto the couch, I find myself lost in a whirlpool, staring into space, and replaying it over a million times.

"I can't believe you lost her." Domenique whispers from behind the couch

I sense my surroundings fading into a distant haze, the world's noise slowly draining away.

My hands rise to cover my face, fingers trembling as regret courses through me like a bitter poison.

How could I have let this happen?

Domenique eases herself onto the couch beside me, her comforting touch an attempt to comfort me.

But it only makes me feel worse.

I lift my head and turn towards her, struggling to put a smile on my face. "I just ruined everything." my voice quivering as I speak the painful truth.

She remains silent, her expression of how much of an idiot I was in just a simple short amount of time. 

There are no words to change what I've done.

I ruined this because I couldn't be a man, and now my daughter is going to ask me why Abidemi hasn't shown up, and I'm going to have to look into those eyes.