The King's Fury, Lost In The Dream.

*Alistair Pov*

I have lived for a long time... Too long if you ask me, but I always did what a warden should, I swore to uphold the memory of the order for my brothers.

No matter the cost, no matter the sacrifice, I was to ensure that the Grey wardens were never forgotten but sometimes no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't turn the tide and history just seemed to want them to stay as a myth, a legend for scholars to argue over their validity.

This fact, destroyed me, the sacrifices of y/n, Carinus, the order, all of my brothers and sisters meant nothing and I couldn't live in a world where their lives were nothing but a fragment of my distant memories.

My calling had come to claim me, and deep within the earth I lay bleeding out having killed the last of the darkspawn.

Then she appeared, a sigil of flames erupted before me igniting the passage with vibrant orange hues. A woman formed from the fire her hair a silky blonde and her eyes an icy blue, she wore a dress that had golden thread down into it along with the feathers of a Phoenix. She looked down towards my fallen and decaying body. It was then that her delicate yet beautiful features twisted into a frown.

"warden, why do you let yourself waste away like this?" her voice was kind and full of curiosity, I grunted, coughing blood out of my throat allowing me to speak.

"I have nothing left, I have failed my mission, I can not live long enough to ensure the memory lives on..." my voice was hoarse and weak but she listened intently before pulling out a box from a small magic seal.

Opening the box she revealed a collection of what appeared to be crimson crystal chess pieces.

"will you be my knight if I allow you to live as a devil, will you brave warden protect me and my brethren from the darkspawn that will return in the end of days?" she asked as my mind flickered to the faces of my brothers and the mission that still lay before me...

A mission that was yet to be complete.

"I-" I paused, hesitating, was this righteous, was this what my brothers would've wanted?

As my mind flashed with these questions, I remembered something Duncan had told me when I first joined the wardens.

"Alistair, remember a Warden does what he must, whatever it takes to stem the tide of Darkness, it isn't about right or wrong. You could have the lowest thief and he might have better morals than the most powerful king, but if they both joined the wardens, they both shared in their desire to do what it took to turn the tide. So rather than asking am I right or wrong? ask yourself this... Did I do enough?"

It was with this memory that my decision was made. I hadn't finished my mission there was still more I could do, So much more...

"my lady, I will do whatever it takes, I will give my body life and soul to stem the tide of darkness, no matter the cost." my answer resonated with the knight piece which exploded as it entered my chest before reforming becoming a mutated piece.
I felt the blight recede within me as I reagined control of my body.

That I can say was the turning point, change that caused me to end up here in this exact moment.

A battlefield, back to back with one of the finest Wardens history has ever known and to be honest, I don't feel worthy of being here, standing back to back with him...

Then in a flash of blinding light, a sharp piercing pain entered my back and through my chest, it burnt as it went through me my body twitching in instinctual fear, I had been impaled by a spear of light a devil's natural weakness.