Chapter 35

Warning: This story may not be suitable for a very young age due to some unscripted words...

---

DUKE

I jumped out of my seat and snatched her wrist in urgency  "Augh! Hey! What's wrong with you?"

"Vlance, we have to hurry. The media are on their way. We're gonna be in big trouble if they find us here."

We were able to get away from the reporters and now, we were on the road not sure where to go. I was just driving for almost half an hour now and no one dared to speak. I never heard silence quite this loud. I felt her moved and there she pressed the radio of a random FM station.

Saying goodbye is death by a thousand cuts
Flashbacks waking me up
I get drunk, but it's not enough
'Cause the morning comes and you're not my baby
I look through the windows of this love
Even though we boarded them up
Chandelier's still flickering here
'Cause I can't pretend it's ok when it's not
It's death by a thousand cuts

I just gritted my teeth in annoyance. The song, was as if she was singing it for someone else. 

I heard her huff as if she felt disappointed. Of course, the song she was singing was like a heartbreak song for that robotic MD. 

Out of a sudden, she uttered, "I'm sorry, Duke. It's my fault. If I didn't take you to that place, the paparazzi would not chase us ..." Does she feel sorry for me because she's cheating?

"Stop saying that, Vlance. It was never your fault." It was never her fault. She doesn't want this marriage in the first place. She's just trapped. 

I stop the car on the side of the road and then I reach something behind the car. "Here, take it. It's for you." I gave her the flower I ordered earlier.

"Wow! Is this really for me? Thanks, Duke!" She said in excitement. At least she apricated it. I smiled. 

But her delightedness dropped to woe real quick. She looked not excited at all. I bet she was just faking her excitement just to make me feel good. She knew I was sick and she just didn't want to reject me. It was out of empathy, I guess.

"So what's our plan? Where should we go next?" Because of what happened earlier, our date night was ruined and I don't wanna end the night just like that.

I hope she won't ask for us to go back home. I still want to go spend the night with her enjoying the night outside my comfort zone. 

"Argh! I think I want to drink tonight. Why don't we look for a convenient store around and let's grab some beer? Do you want some Ihaw-ihaw?"

"Ihaw?"

"Yup! Ihaw-Ihaw... the Grilled thing on the street you know."

"Oh, I see. I like that too. Sounds cool," I answered trying to control myself and not let my emotions take over me. I wanted to scream, "Yes!" Deep inside I was in zest.

"Cool." She smiled nodding like it was a great thing we had mutually agreed with the idea.   

---

"What is that?" I asked puzzled.

"Balot at penoy," she answered as she gobbled one of the eggs. We decided to just go over the hill which was of course our family property where one of our cell towers was built purposely for the family business. The tower was just standing a few meters from where we were.

We were sitting on the hood of the car and in the middle, we laid some ihaw-ihaw as what Vlance called together with the balot at penoy and a bottle of beer, each for the two of us.