𝑌𝐸𝐴𝑅 𝑇𝐻𝑅𝐸𝐸 ☆ 11

Rosalyn had arranged her first anti-dementor class with Lupin and she was going to it now.

She was partly scared to do this, but she kept reminding herself that is she wanted to fight Black, she would have to be more experienced than she was at the moment.

She steeled herself to face whatever happened in this meeting, and opened the door to see Professor Lupin, leaning over the gold railing that made up his cool office, ready to teach her. She had been in this office before, but Lupin had made it cooler than Professors Quirrel or Lockhart had.

There was gold orbs floating around, and the candles were made from the spine of some creature. There were cabinets around the walls, filled with sculptures and instruments that probably did stuff Rosalyn could never imagine.

"Hello, Rosalyn. Now, are you ready to do this?" Lupin asked her as she looked around the room.

"Yes, Professor, I... think so," Rosalyn said, trying to convince herself as much as him.

"Now, are you sure about this, Rosalyn? You know this is very advanced magic well beyond some fully grown wizards and certainly beyond the abilities of a third year," Lupin checked. This made Rosalyn teeter on the edge of leaving, saying no, and turning her back on this whole thing.

But she didn't, and she simply uttered. "Sure."

"Well, everything is prepared," Lupin raised his hand towards a trunk, and Rosalyn had a shrewd idea of what was in it.

Lupin began to walk down the stairs towards Rosalyn, and she let continue on without complaint. "Now the spell I'm about to teach you is called the patronus charm, have you ever of heard it?"

Rosalyn shook her head.

"No? Well, patronus is a kind of positive force and for the wizard or witch who can conjure one. It acts as a sort of sheild where the dementor feeds on it, rather than them." He sat down on the trunk. "But in order for it to work, you have to think of a memory. It has to be a very happy memory, a very powerful memory, can you do that?"

Rosalyn, again, nodded, although she wasn't sure if she could do that. Did she have any memories that were strong enough?

"Close you eyes," Lupin said, raising two fingers in the direction of them, she obeyed and now could only listen. "Concentrate. Explore your past... find a memory. Allow it to fill you up, lose yourself in it, then speak the incantation... Expecto Patronum."

"Expecto Patronum," Rosalyn repeated. She had a memory, but she also had a good idea of what was going to happen.

Lupin, who had walked behind her, was now near the trunk again and he asked, "Shall we?" To Rosalyn. She nodded.

"Wand at the ready," Lupin instructed, and Rosalyn took her wand out her pocket, pointing it at the trunk.

Lupin unlocked the trunk, and nodded to her, asking if she was ready. Rosalyn kept her eyes locked on the trunk, and as Lupin pulled it open, she steeled herself to do it.

A dementor rose out of the trunk, and Rosalyn looked at it for a second before it towered above her, sucking the happiness out of her.

"Expecto Patronum- Exp- expecto-" but the candles in the room were going out, the dementor was winning...

"Expecto- expecto..."

"Rosalyn!"

She was light headed, falling, hitting the hard stone floor, and ending out cold.

☆☆☆

"Come on, come on, get up."

Lupin helped her up off the ground, and when she had sat up, he was quick with reassuring her. "It's alright, I didn't expect you to do it first time, that would've been remarkable. Here, take this, it'll make you feel better," he handed her three blocks of chocolate which she ate quickly.