𝑌𝐸𝐴𝑅 𝐹𝑂𝑈𝑅 ☆ 15

She was back in Dumbledore's office, her hands touching the cold stone of the floor. Dumbledore was standing a few metres away from her, beside the basin.

"Curiosity it not a sin, Rosalyn," he said calmly. "But you should exercise caution."

"What- what is that?" Rosalyn asked, panting slightly, even more curious.

"It's a pensive," Dumbledore said. "Very useful, if, like me, you find your mind somewhat stretched." He paused then continued. "It allows me to see once more things that I have already seen," he walked away from Rosalyn.

"You see, Rosalyn, I've searched and searched, for some small detail, something I might have overlooked, something that will help me explain why these terrible things have happened." He turned round. "But every time I get close to an answer, it slips away."

Rosalyn walked forward. "Sir... Mr Crouch's son, what happened to him?"

Dumbledore looked at her, before explaining. "He was sent to Azkaban, and that destroyed Barty for good. But he had no choice, the evidence was overwhelming. Why do you ask?"

"I-" Rosalyn stopped, but she realised she would have to come clean at some point. "I had a dream about him."

She sighed, it was her turn to explain. "It was in the summer, before school. In the dream- Voldemort was there, in a house, and he was with two others- Wormtail and- Crouch Junior."

She looked at Dumbledore, right into those merry blue eyes. "Sir... these dreams... they can't show what's actually happening, can they?"

Dumbledore thought for a minute, his eyes leveled pointedly at the floor. Finally, he answered. "I have no doubt, Rosalyn, that you could have been seeing what Lord Voldemort was doing at that moment in the summer. But this is no time to be talking about it."

She thought this was maybe a dismissal, but Rosalyn paused, and before deciding to leave, she asked one more question. "Sir... in there... Karkaroff mentioned Frank Longbottom and his wife, is that-"

"Neville's parents, yes," Dumbledore said, a tone of sadness in his voice. What happened to them? Rosalyn thought. Seconds later she had and answer. "They were... good people, respected, friends with your parents, if I remember correctly, but-"

He looked at the girl, whow as begging for knowledge, and decided to be lenient. "Rosalyn I need you to swear to me that you won't tell anyone what I am about to tell you. Neville simply isn't ready."

Rosalyn nodded solemnly. "Yes, Sir."

"Frank and Alice were... tortured by death eaters, drove them insane. Neville barely knew them before he got upped and moved to his gran's."

Rosalyn was shocked. She felt a single tear slip down her cheek. "I had no idea," she said, choking.

Dumbledore gave her a few minutes before trying to comfort her. "I am sorry, Rosalyn, I know you think that you could've done something to help him, but it's okay. Neville's fine now, he visits his parents, and they might not be able to recognise him, but that doesn't mean-"

"They don't recognise him?" Rosalyn asked, wide eyed.

"I am sorry, Rosalyn, but no. Professor Moody has probably said... the cruciatus curse leaves unfixable damage... but he knows them, and deep down, they love him."

"But it'll never be the same..." Rosalyn sobbed.

She didn't know why she was crying. Yes, Neville was her friend, but she had never felt like this towards him before. She didn't know why she was so upset.