Chapter 1 - Untouchable

This is Book 2 in the Kirill & Mia series. Book 1 is titled Russian Mafia Tsar.

Kirill and Mia were married in a lavish ceremony and welcomed over five hundred guests to their wedding. On the day of the wedding, Kirill was getting ready at his apartment with some of his friends who came for the occasion.

Feeling both nervous and excited, he felt that everything was falling out of his hands that day and tried to collect himself to be ready for the ceremony.

Arriving at the church early, he spoke with the priest at length about his next step in life. One thing Kirill always wanted to be was a good husband and father. His childhood had taught him how important a marital union is and he was determined to never be anything that his father was.

At the same time, he was feeling nervous and unsure; would he be able to be a good father, never having a role model?

The church filled up fully and Mia arrived only slightly late with her best friends in tow. She wore a stunning wedding gown that would make Kate Middleton jealous.

Absolutely glowing, her long hair slicked back into a low bun, Mia's smile radiated love and excitement. Unlike Kirill, she had no doubts about the kind of family they would have. She had confidence and trust that no other man would make a better husband to her and father to her children.

"Dear Jesus, I think God himself descended from heavens to witness this union." Her best friend Viv spoke with humour as they pulled up to the packed church in an oversized limo. Kirill's security was completely over the top as the street had been closed and menacing men stood around ready to kill anyone looking remotely suspicious.

"You feeling ok?" Carly, one of her other good friends asked Mia in a motherly tone. After Kirill gifted Carly and Ari their wedding gift, Carly cried from happiness but both her and Ari felt strange about accepting such an extravagant and expensive gift. It took both Kirill and Mia to convince them that they should accept. They finally did and had subsequently moved to their grand New York apartment and had started their family life.

"Yes."

Mia smiled. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and breathed. She thought about everything her and Kirill had been through together. After the death of his business partners, Dmitry and Tamik, Kirill had consolidated his power and the last year had been quiet but worrisome for Mia.

Would he ever be able to step away from what he did and lead a normal life? She hoped for the best and said,

"I'm ready. Let's do this."

The crowd gathered at the church entrance and oohed and ahhed at seeing her come out of the car. She wore a body fitting wedding dress with long sleeves but a completely open back and a extensive train. Her veil covered her face and chest and was even longer than her dress, extending many feet behind her. Mia grabbed her smiling father by the arm and they made their way up the steps.

Seeing Mia walk down the aisle toward him, Kirill had a face of pure satisfaction. Yes, he thought, this is exactly how everything should be. His beautiful wife looked like an angel, all his, forever bound by God's union.

He was untouchable.

At their reception dinner, while their guests chatted and enjoyed their Michelin Star meals, Kirill kept stealing glances at his gorgeous wife.

He wanted to take a second to capture the day, just for them, so they could always look back on it and remember how they felt about each other in this moment.

He knew they were very different and knew that eventually, everything he had done would catch up to him unless he completely disappeared somewhere.

He was honest with himself that his only way out was death. He was too far in, too far entrenched with too many moving pieces to simply walk away and start fresh somewhere.

"My wife?" He spoke with a warm smile. "May I steal you away from our celebration for just a moment?"

She looked at him with a devilish look on her face.

"Husband? You know I'm always yours." She spoke slowly and with significance. She really meant what she said; she belonged to him. After she met Kirill, no other man existed for her and she delighted in her role beside him.

He grabbed her by the hand and led her out into the dark night. Holding her hand tightly, he walked slowly to make sure she could keep up in her long dress and led her to the farther side of the dimly lit stunning grounds of their venue. The moon shining bright, Mia didn't ask where they were going; she trusted him fully.

Standing under a tree beside a calm lake he faced her and grabbed both her hands and looked down. He didn't know what exactly he wanted to say, he just wanted to be alone with her.

He looked at Mia and she at him, neither one of them saying anything at all. Just standing there, breathing with each other and gazing into each other's eyes, they were both on the same page.

Standing like that for a whole minute, they both sensed a change inside.

It felt like they were revealing each other's deepest secrets without uttering a sound. It felt unnerving and at the same time comforting, knowing that there was one person on this planet who loved you more than life itself. In total silence, their day and surroundings completely disappeared.

"Please forgive me." Kirill suddenly said darkly, waking them both up from their private moment. His words hung in the air.

"For what?" Mia responded surprised and a little confused.

"For who I am. For my past...and...for my future." Kirill looked at her seriously, no hint of a joke or any humour in his face or tone.

A chill ran down Mia's spine. Kirill didn't speak in riddles but this was the most unusual conversation. As he intently looked at her after his words she felt fear and uncertainty brewing inside her for the first time in a very long time.

Suddenly, fireworks exploded startling them both with the loud noise and light. They both looked up at the sky and heard the guests all cheer as they had just now exited the venue to enjoy the show.

As Mia glanced back at Kirill, she saw him looking down and holding his chest, streaks of blood dripping from his hand. He slowly dropped to his knees and fell face forward on the grass.

Please don't forget to vote and comment! I love to hear from my readers! ❤️