Chapter 48 - Taking The Fall

Mia slowly zoned into reality as Kirill approached her and Danila. They both stood in front of her with somber faces.

This was probably the worst way that everything could have gone down, thought Kirill.

Why did he shoot Oleg like that? After everyone laid dead, they had no time, they had to leave and couldn't wait for him to suffocate in the steam room. Yes, but he could have strangled him, Kirill thought to himself.

Fuck, what a colossal mess.

Both Danila and Kirill were thinking wildly of how to cover this up as Mia sat there, her mind occupied with the same problem. Quickly, Kirill asked Danila,

"What the fuck happened?"

"I'm not 100% sure yet. But I don't think Alexei knew about these guys because he's dead too."

Danila explained the phone call in detail as Mia looked up at Danila alarmed but Kirill just moved his eyes slowly to Danila's face.

"Collect these guys' phones. We're leaving in two minutes." Kirill barked out instructions.

"Fuck, I don't want to go to Vladimir Central." Danila chuckled as he retreated to fulfill Kirill's instructions.

Still sitting on the bench, Mia looked over at a dead Oleg who now lay in a puddle of red as a thin stream of blood still trickled into the pool.

"Why did you shoot him like that?" Mia asked in a raspy voice and cleared her throat.

Kirill was ripped out from his thoughts by her voice and looked from her to Oleg and back at her.

"Like what?"

"Like...that. He was dead from one gunshot." She spoke quietly as she scanned the pool room now and her eyes landed on the unknown man, dead on the other side of the pool. "So this was the real buyer then?"

"That's it, let's go." Danila quietly said to them but Mia didn't stand up.

"Wait, we're just going to leave all these dead people here? Including Alexei?" She looked at them astonished.

Both Kirill and Danila looked at her as if to say, yes, of course, but she felt like this was a disaster waiting to unravel itself.

"Hang on, hang on, we can't just leave, can we?" She asked again.

"Mia, we have no time for this right now, come on, I'll tell you on the way." Kirill grabbed her arm and gently pulled her in.

He explained the whole situation as he saw it and as they were about to step outside, she stopped in her tracks.

"Why is it suddenly ok to leave Oleg like this? We've been weaving this intricate web in order to kill him quietly and now we're just going to leave his body there?" She asked incredulously.

"Well, we couldn't make it look like an accident so now we are exactly where we didn't want to end up in the first place." Kirill spoke hurriedly and reached for her again but Mia stepped back.

Both Danila and Kirill were surprised at how stubborn she was. They had mere minutes to escape and she was keeping them there. They had no idea if any more men were coming for her.

Mia was furiously thinking about how to present this situation as an accident or an incident that no one would be able to trace back to them.

"Are you trying to get us all arrested tonight? At least let us get a head start." Kirill said exasperated.

"If this was the real buyer, then maybe we can just pin it all on them...Oleg came here to do the trade, with his guy - Alexei. Then something went wrong and they shot him." She was thinking out loud as Kirill and Danila now listened.