Chapter 6 - Not Everything

"Yes. Artyom. I'm glad you remember my name." And he smiled which made Mia shudder.

"I've come to express how sad I am for your situation. What a tragedy. To become a widow on your wedding day." And he looked sadly at the floor before continuing normally. "What are your plans now that he is gone?" He asked hopefully looking up at Mia.

Mia easily read through his act and decided to play along.

"Oh, Artyom. I don't know what to even tell you. I was not involved in Kirill's...career, so to speak and I know nothing about it. I don't know what to do."

Artyom loved to hear it and continued on,

"I understand. This must be an incredibly difficult time for you. I'm here if you need me. I know Kirill had a lot going on in Russia..." He paused and sighed trying to sound sad. "I'm going to Moscow next week, perhaps you would like to join me?" He looked at her expectantly and Mia was very surprised at his sudden and very forward proposition.

"To Russia? I don't know what I would do there." She responded.

"Ну по крайней мере, можно просто со мной язык подтянуть. Вы же все понимаете, правда, Мия?" (Well in the very least, you could improve your language with me. You understand everything, don't you, Mia?) Artyom said as he stood up and walked toward her while looking her up and down.

She looked so breathtaking in her light pink silk robe, her nipples slightly protruding through the fine fabric and her curves outlined.

He almost salivated at seeing her standing in front of him and she was instantly repulsed by his leering. He had the urge to take her robe off but controlled himself as he wanted to play his cards right. He knew he was no Kirill but he had other strengths, one of them being incredible patience and self restraint.

"Ugh...well...I really don't think this is a good time for me to leave...I couldn't possibly go to Russia right now...without him." She put her face in her hands and fake sighed.

Artyom took the opportunity to come up close to her and awkwardly hug her. He placed his hands on her arms and rubbed them up and down while she stood there not moving.

"Mia...Mia...It's ok. I'm here for you. I know it's hard now but time will pass and you will see someone else in front of you who can fill that void for you in your heart." He spoke like he had rehearsed the speech.

She couldn't believe how forward he was with her. Again, why did he think he could speak to her this way?

"I...don't even know what to do about his business, for lack of a better word, here or in Russia. I don't know who he was involved with." She thought she was overdoing it but Artyom was happy to answer her fake questions.

"Oh don't you worry about that. I'm here to help. Kirill and I have spoken at length about what he does here," she knew that was a lie, "and I'm his partner in Russia," another huge lie came out of his mouth, "I can consolidate it there and you won't have to worry about anything." He continued mechanically rubbing her arms. "It's not all so bad, hm? Let me take you for dinner, how about tomorrow night? And we can discuss."

He looked at her with a smile and she had the urge to push him away or shove him roughly out the door.

"Well. Let me think about it Artyom. I have to figure out what to do next." She answered hoping he would let go of her arms now.

That he did, and with a big smile, he gave her a piece of paper with his number on it.

"Tomorrow. I'll take you someplace nice. Call me." He awkwardly placed his fingers on the bottom of Mia's chin as she instinctively pulled away. She stood there frozen and just slowly nodded hoping that would be enough for him to leave.