Chapter 4 - Forever In Debt

"Enough!" The funeral director finally spoke and this time he forcefully grabbed her upper arm and pulled her out of the way.

Mia already received the shock of a lifetime when she realized Kirill was not who was about to be buried and this was all a big theatrical production. But why, who was orchestrating all this? Where was Kirill and more importantly, why did he do this to her?! She stood beside the hearse as the casket was being closed and moved back inside.

Looking at the ground, she felt incredible anger inside. How could he put her through this?! Why was this necessary? He died in front of her on their wedding day, of all days. Maybe he actually died but someone was playing a trick on her? She was mightily confused and lost for words.

She made her way back to the car, pulled her tulle all the way down in front of her face and the car took off. She had no idea what game Kirill was playing but having lived through hell the last two days, she was ready to kill him herself.

As the coffin was lowered into the ground, she came right up and dropped a large bouquet of flowers on the casket. She didn't cry, she didn't show any emotion but she did play the role of a grieving widow.

At the post funeral lunch, she sat there not touching her food and not talking to anyone. She ignored everyone who came up to her and just silently listened to their words while staring into one spot, her mind completely occupied with the man in the coffin and her missing husband.

She heard that thick Russian accent again that she heard at the church steps and looked up to see a man she had seen in Russia exactly one time when he approached her and Kirill in a restaurant.

She remembered Kirill said he had known him a long time but had no business with him. His name started with an A and that's about all that she remembered.

"I said, how are you holding up, Mia?" He looked at her with concern through his round glasses.

Mia said nothing at first, she only looked up at him because he woke her up from her thoughts.

"I'm fine. Thank you for asking." She answered dryly wanting to end this conversation as soon as possible.

"Fine? What an American answer." He responded to her as if offended by her choice of words.

She was taken aback at how rude he was. Why did he think he could speak to her like this?

The man said nothing else, he only looked at her with eyes she couldn't decipher and then he walked away. Mia thought he was a strange fellow but thought nothing more of their conversation. She left the dining area and called a locksmith.

As she arrived home, so did her locksmith. He was there to open all of Kirill's desk drawers because she was now determined to figure out what was in his desk.

"Ugh...they're all unlocked. Did you call me here to prank me? I still have to charge for the call." The locksmith turned to her looking annoyed but uninterested.

"What do you mean they're unlocked? You just opened them?" Mia clarified.

"No, they weren't locked. Will that be cash or card?" He asked in a monotonous voice.

Mia stormed over to the drawers and pulled them all open. Empty. There was absolutely nothing inside except a half empty pack of cigarettes in the first drawer. Trying to fake confusion she profusely apologized to the locksmith, paid him and shut the door behind him.

Mia was now getting scared and she understood nothing in what was going on. Was someone in the apartment when she was away and opened the drawers and emptied the contents? Did Kirill come back? Was he dead or alive? Why was there nothing in the drawers? He worked here every day.