Chapter 49 - Pillow Talk

Mia felt so relieved to be out of there and slumped onto the backseat as Danila made his way out of the small streets. City lights flashed inside the car as she laid on the seat and breathed.

Oleg was dead. She was free.

None of them spoke the entire car ride home but Kirill kept checking his phone every few minutes.

"Are you waiting for a text from a girlfriend? Why are you so fixated on your phone all of a sudden?" Mia joked as they walked in the apartment.

He smiled and approached her, wrapping his large arm around her waist and easily pulling her into him. He kissed her passionately and hungrily as she stood there smiling at him.

He felt as if his shackles were broken and he was finally able to move freely.

"I love this whole situation for you guys, but Mia has to go now." Danila spoke sadly as Mia and Kirill ripped apart from each other.

"Go where?!" She asked as if offended and looked from Danila to Kirill but Kirill had the same look of sadness on his face.

"You have to leave, tonight. I will come in a little bit but, you have to go, it's too dangerous for you to be here. The news hasn't picked up the story yet but the police got there already." Kirill explained as he shook his phone in his hand.

"I know I have to leave but tonight? Right now?!"

She asked them and they both nodded. She didn't want to leave them. She wanted to keep them both with her, and she suddenly felt a feeling of loss.

It was over. The months of stress and danger. What was she going to do now? She became so focused on her goal that she never even thought about what would happen after.

Sitting on a private jet, Mia looked out the window and saw the cold frozen ground move further and further away from her.

She felt like a piece of her was left behind and as she watched the city lights disappear behind the heavy clouds, a tear ran down her cheek.

Was she...sad to leave Russia? She couldn't reconcile that feeling with what had happened to her there. She had gone through the most stressful time in her life. Every single day felt like a walk on the edge of a knife.

But Danila's words rang in her head; people live 100% here. She even made friends with the girls at the club. She saw the culture, saw the people, saw their attitude toward life.

If they partied, they partied hard. If they prayed, they prayed with everything they had. If they hated...they ruined everything and everyone in their path. No one held back, no one pretended. They spoke the truth and you just had to deal with it.

She arrived in New York and everything seemed like a simulation. Fake smiles, bright lights, clean cars. The cold air stung her face but everything smelled different, everything felt wrong.

She made it back to her and Kirill's apartment and felt overwhelming repulsion. Memories of her grief overpowered her and she felt empty and lost. She didn't want to be here. She didn't know where she wanted to go but not here, not after everything.

But a week later, Kirill surprised her as she was at home. He opened the door with his key and although startled from his entrance, she ran to him and jumped onto him locking him in a long awaited kiss.

Both of them hungrily touching, this somehow felt like the first time they ever laid hands on each other. Thirsty, lustful, and passionate, they knew that nothing would keep them apart, no matter how far into hell they descended.

The next morning, Kirill was making Mia breakfast as she watched on and couldn't stop herself from smiling. She was overjoyed to have him beside her again.