Chapter 42 - Alexei

With a heavy heart, Alexei took a seat as Danila sat in front of him and Kirill stood behind him.

Alexei didn't miss any details. He told them Artyom had a hold over him, just like they are doing now. He worked for Artyom and last week, Oleg got in touch with him and carefully inquired about how the process would work.

They had sent Mia's photos and videos to their contacts in the Middle East, Asia, and South America and were waiting to hear back. But then Artyom disappeared and now the line between him and Oleg was broken.

"You have Oleg's info?" Danila asked immersed in the details.

"No. Only Artyom had that. He was responsible to be in contact with Oleg and me, with dealers overseas. I speak English better than him."

Thinking about how Alexei spoke English, Kirill wanted to get the confirmation to what he already guessed,

"Why did you call Mia in New York?" Kirill asked and startled Alexei.

Alexei was silent for a few seconds but then decided he had no reason to lie. His biggest torment was gone and if he just did what these guys asked for, he would be free.

"Artyom asked me. He wanted to bring Mia back here and asked me to try since he wasn't successful for whatever reason...but then she left New York and it took me a while to figure out where she went. I searched for weeks and finally, a tip came from France. I went down there to take her but then I saw someone with her...I wasn't sure it was you but I came back with that information to Artyom...who went to Oleg and told him you might be alive...And now, here we are." He finished as if defeated.

Kirill was raging inside. He had completely miscalculated how dangerous Artyom was. He should have known better.

Danila sat quietly and watched Alexei. Usually calm and collected, Danila looked angry and stern. He didn't trust Alexei and had a bad feeling about this.

"What do you need me to do?" Alexei probed.

It was all quiet again after his question but then Kirill took the initiative.

"You're going to get in touch with Oleg and provide him with a buyer profile for Mia." Kirill came to sit down with Danila on the couch and looked straight at Alexei.

"We will see how that goes. If it goes well, you will tell him he's eager to close the deal quickly. You will pretend like the buyer wants to haggle but will settle on a number relatively fast. You will tell Oleg you will arrange transport and then, you will pass her to us and you're done. That's it." Danila finished staring at Alexei and watching him wrestle with his thoughts but then Alexei shook his head lightly.

"That won't work. He doesn't trust me, I've never talked to him before."

"Well, Lyokha, time to grow some balls and go in there and tell him you've taken over Artyom's pipeline. You said you dealt with his overseas dealers? What's stopping you from actually taking over Artyom's business?" Kirill responded strongly.

Alexei looked like he was about to cry. His face looked sorrowful and in pain and both Danila and Kirill weren't sure if he was about to break down in front of them.

"Listen, I...I didn't work for Artyom out of my own free will, okay?" He responded and didn't look at them.

"Come on, pull yourself together, man. Last job, and you can get out, go see Masha again. But you fuck this up," and Danila shook his head "you want me to tell you again?" Danila asked genuinely.

Almost crying, Alexei nodded his head and said he understood. He would do what they asked.

But then Kirill realized they missed an important piece.