Chapter 37 - No Faults Assigned

Now completely sober, Kirill quickly approached Mia who sat motionless on the dead Artyom and watched blood and brains drain onto the white snow underneath him, gun still in his mouth.

Kirill crouched beside her and looked at her face and knew she was in shock. Holding onto her shoulders, he helped her stand but caught her right away as he anticipated her knees would buckle.

Gently lifting her up, he carried her to the car as Danila was already coming back to the scene without his jacket and with something in his hands.

Kirill placed Mia in the front seat and carefully closed the door and walked back to Danila and a dead Artyom. She watched them in the rear view mirror and saw them put on gloves and pick up Artyom and dump him in Danila's trunk.

As they walked back and forth, working diligently to clean up as much as possible, she was impressed at how fast they worked and without any words. It seemed like they had done this hundreds of times and both knew the routine.

Mia didn't feel remorse or guilt but remarked how easy this came to her. She felt no shame, no regret.

He was dead. And that was the only correct thing in the world right now.

As she thought about the moment she pressed the trigger, she felt that was the second that justice was served. For all the women and girls he had trapped and ruined. He was a bad man and he deserved his fate, she thought as the car sped out of the city.

Faster and faster, the roads traffic free at 2am, Danila knew where he was going as they entered dark rural roads.

Snow, asphalt, white trees and plains, and low conversation. Mia thought they had completely left civilization as small roads were replaced by smaller ones and they were in the middle of a field, with lush forests in the distance covered in a white blanket.

The car stopped and Mia heard both Danila and Kirill exit as she sat alone. A splash, the closing of the trunk, and dark road again, the moon their only constant witness.

They entered a small sleepy town blanketed in snow and drove toward a row of garages, seemingly endless, as the Aston Martin took a beating on the broken road.

Dim lights only showing up sometimes, they were covered by the shadows of the night as Danila stepped out to open a garage door and drove in.

Mia remained silent throughout and neither one of them spoke to her but only exchanged hushed conversation between themselves in Russian.

They changed cars to a nondescript Lada as Danila cleaned out the trunk of his Aston Martin and inspected it white Kirill started the new ride. They worked silently, both knowing their roles inside out.

Here they were, cleaning up her mess. No questions asked, no faults assigned. Neither one of them thought twice about what to do and how to get her out of this situation.

They pulled up to a small and badly maintained apartment building with snow covered trees littering the courtyard and streetlights offering barely any light.

Kirill opened Mia's door and offered her his hand. She tightly grabbed onto him as he helped to hold her up and followed Danila up the steps to the third floor through the dark and destroyed building foyer and staircase. Danila took a second to look for the right key and let them into a small studio apartment.

Kirill led Mia to a kitchen chair and sat her down as he filled up the kettle and looked through the cabinets.

"Mia? Baby? Can you hear me?" Came Kirill's voice filled with love and care as he crouched in front of her. "Here, please drink this." And he gave her a glass of white liquid as he sat down beside her with his arm over her shoulder.