Chapter 14 - 1%

У тебя проблема. К нему приходил незваный гость. (You have a problem. He had an unexpected visitor.)

An early morning text arrived on Kirill's new French number. As Kirill woke up from the low ding of his phone, he had a feeling this was not a good message. He recognized Danila's number and closed his eyes as he sat on the side of the bed.

This was it. His biggest fear in life was about to present itself full force and he was at a significant disadvantage. He couldn't believe his plan didn't work. It was set up perfectly but he made a mistake somewhere and now he would have to pay for it.

He knew his chances of success were 99% but there was always that 1% of uncertainty and now he was smack dab in the middle of it.

Having to tell Mia about all this was a non negotiable at this point but he wasn't sure what else to do past that. He couldn't come back to Moscow to finish this, not now, and their current status was too uncertain.

At the same time, they couldn't run and hide their whole lives and move from place to place and switch continents. Moreover, he knew that with the person he was dealing with, that wouldn't work anyway.

"Mia, I have to tell you something."

Kirill looked at her tanned face as they sat on the patio finishing their coffee. He always felt that she was an angel sent to him from above but now he was drowning and keeping her safe seemed a task achievable only to God himself.

She turned to him with furrowed eyebrows and her full attention.

"I'm listening."

"I have a problem. No. We have a problem. My plan didn't work." He decided that he just had to lay it all out on the table. "Someone knows...knows that I'm not dead...the one specific person who I..." he paused because he didn't want to say he was afraid of this person.

But he was. Mia intently listened to him as her insides began to shiver from the snippet of information she just received. "Who I wanted to get away from." He finally said not looking away from her face. She waited for more but then asked,

"Is this the not everything that I don't know about you?"

She didn't forget what he said to her in their apartment when he came back from the dead. Something haunted him and she patiently waited to find out what it was and she knew it was about to be revealed to her.

Kirill closed his eyes and slightly nodded. He sighed heavily and launched into the story.

"When I was 22, 23...I worked with a...a crime boss" he looked for the correct words in English. "who wanted to put pressure on a very dangerous and powerful man. I was assigned to kidnap that man's daughter and..." he paused not wanting to give her all the details even though he had to.

"And what?" Mia asked quietly.

"I was to kidnap and...rape her and torture her...and send evidence to the man...but I...I couldn't do it. She was 16 and she seemed like a really good girl." Kirill spoke slowly.

"You didn't rape and torture her because she looked like a nice person?" Mia asked completely terrified of the information she was hearing.

"No...no" Kirill responded right away furrowing his eyebrows and shaking his head. "I've never raped a woman, Mia, we've had this conversation. I would rather pull someone's intestines out through their mouth than do that..." he trailed off as he noticed her eyes widen at his last words. "I kept her captive and I was the only one who had access to her." He gulped and closed his eyes again. "But she died. And she was his light and love."