Chapter 38 - KGB Interrogation

The next day, Mia stood at the kitchen window and watched Kirill talk to a teenager outside the building in the gloomy afternoon light.

Snow still piling on, Kirill stood with his arms crossed but looked around as the young boy fiddled with something in his hands before passing it to Kirill and then shaking hands.

"Who was he talking to?" She turned to face Danila who was making breakfast.

"A local guy we have here."

"You're seducing young boys into a world of crime in small town Russia?"

Danila chuckled, "Well, if you put it like that, sure. Please eat. I don't think you've eaten in a long time." He said as he set a plate of food in front of her.

She slowly ate as she thought about everything that happened last night. Dread and anxiety settled in her stomach as her light mood from last night disappeared without a trace.

Kirill walked in a minute later, his hoodie covered in snow.

"Fuck, I'm going to catch pneumonia like this, I need to buy a jacket on our way out!" He looked happily at Mia, still wearing the same pajama outfit from last night as he discreetly passed Danila the phone and took a seat.

Mia watched Danila turn away and scroll through the phone and then momentarily look up at Kirill who was waiting to catch his gaze.

"What?" Mia asked between bites.

"Nothing. You want something to eat?" Danila asked Kirill and Kirill said he would love to.

They all sat in silence and ate their breakfasts but Mia noticed that there was something they weren't telling her.

"Thank you for the breakfast, Danila." She started. "Are you both going to tell me what's going on?"

Danila didn't lift up his head at her but Kirill denied,

"What's going on? Nothing. We're just trying to figure out when to get back." He lied convincingly but Mia knew him well enough.

"What's on that phone, whose is it?" She asked beginning to get nervous that he couldn't be truthful with her.

"It's a burner phone." Kirill simply responded.

"Really? A brand new iPhone, is a burner phone? Why do you need a burner phone?"

They both didn't respond in time as she quickly stood up and picked it up from the counter top before Kirill could stop her.

She put the phone behind her back and backed away from him,

"Mia, give that to me." Kirill spoke seriously with no humour or lightness on his face as Danila watched on with hawk eyes, still in his chair.

The tiny kitchen left Mia no room to maneuver and Kirill reached behind her to rip it out of her hands but she raised her arms above her head and slipped out of his grasp and into the only other room as they both followed her.

"Mia, I'm not joking, give me the phone, now."

Kirill came up to her as she stood on the bed and Danila was right behind him with the same expression of determination.

"What is on here that you don't want me to see?" She was now starting to suspect something sinister.

"Mia, just fucking listen to me." Kirill swatted at her but she backed away further into the bed.

They both slowly approached her from either side of the bed and suddenly she thought of Kirill's words last night.

She momentarily forgot about the phone as she looked from one to the other, a new sexual fantasy sprouting in her mind at the look of them two, so strict, so menacing, both hers.