Chapter 43 - Still Best Friends

Artyom's disappearance worried Oleg. What were the chances that just as he had reached out to him about getting rid of Mia, he suddenly was nowhere to be found?

Oleg stood at the window of his office, deep in thought, and looked outside at the fresh snow piling onto already huge snow banks.

Besides Artyom's vanishing, Oleg also had the big problem of Danila. He decided that the best chance of success was to do it quick and ordered for someone to get rid of him quietly and when he was most vulnerable.

Once Danila was gone, getting his hands on Mia was a piece of cake. But now, Artyom was nowhere to be found!

God, he was so tired of these idiots. All of these young kids, causing him problems. He wanted to be done, he didn't want to participate in anything anymore.

He decided he would sell Mia with one condition; that Kirill was to continue getting updates about her.

He felt that he began to get soft. He didn't have the fire in him anymore, he was tired of everything and everyone. Sure, he enjoyed watching Mia and Danila but...not as much as he thought he would.

He didn't want to play the game anymore. He just wanted to rest. Just then, his receptionist Marina walked in and interrupted him from his anxieties.

She smiled and handed him a folder and he waved her off with anger on his face. He carefully opened it and read the contents. Deep in thought, he sat there for half an hour, looking at the file and weighing his options.

Maybe things were going to work out how he wanted after all. Artyom was gone, dead probably, but clearly, he left his affairs in order, thought Oleg. His cell phone rang startling him; it was Danila's number.

He looked at it with incredible frustration; he was supposed to be dead but here he was.

"Yes, Danila?" He answered annoyed but heard a woman crying on the other side. He immediately perked up.

"O-Oleg?" Came an angelic voice that was torn apart by tears. She couldn't get any more words out as she sobbed and Oleg was entranced in the call. He figured out that Danila was, in fact, dead, and she had no one else to turn to.

"Mia? What happened?" Oleg asked gently and reassuringly.

The sobs continued as he patiently waited for her to calm down.

"D-Danila...he was shot..." more crying ensued and Oleg stayed silent, "Last night...I...I don't know what to do..." she trailed off as she wailed the last word.

"Dead? How?" Oleg feigned shock and surprise as he smiled on the phone.

His plan was working, he was so close. Everything worked out this morning! Alexei's professional and discreet approach, Danila's death, and Mia running into his arms.

He just had to play it cool with her now and make sure she didn't commit suicide before he could pass her off.

It was perfect. God was watching over him, he thought, things were lining up just as he had planned.

After a short conversation full of grammatical errors, Mia hung up the phone and looked at Kirill and Danila, who were both watching her sob real tears as she sat on her knees on the floor while talking to Oleg.

She tried to smile but then descended into tears again as Kirill hugged her.

"You did great, baby..." his large arms completely encompassed her in his chest as she shuddered.

Once Mia brought herself to a state of tears for the phone call, she couldn't stop crying. All the stress of the past months had weighed heavy on her but she was finally, in his arms, and she let it all out.

The plan was now in motion and there was no turning back. Now, Mia was at her most vulnerable. She was not to leave the apartment alone under any circumstance and now all three of them became fugitives.

Mia was relieved her stripping career was coming to an end and as the evening rolled around, she made dinner and felt the most normal in many months. But then she set three plates on the table and wondered, how would things be after all this was over?

She got so used to having Danila with her. And she was so happy to have Kirill back. She lived in a world where both men were with her but that was not reality.

After dinner, Kirill approached Danila who was lying in his bed, nursing his injury, a small lamp giving out the tiniest light in the room. Kirill sat down on an armchair beside the bed and without looking at Danila, asked,

"Why is that your phone password?" He spoke calmly but hints of frustration were clearly discernible.

Danila froze at the question, he was hoping Kirill would not bring this up and he didn't respond. He didn't want to reveal his true feelings and hoped that it would just get buried and forgotten.

"It can't just be a coincidence that you picked those numbers. That's her birthday." Kirill moved the conversation along but Danila stayed silent. "Well? Why are you so quiet?" Kirill nudged him again.

"Man, what do you want me to say?" Danila spoke up annoyed. It was a minute before Kirill responded anything,

"I'm sorry I brought you into this mess, Danila." Kirill spoke candidly. "Literally every step seems to have been a complete fuck up, I didn't even know that was possible." Kirill placed his elbows on his knees and held his face with his palms as the room fell silent again.

"I mean...not a complete fuck up...we got this far...Artyom is dead...hopefully Lyokha won't bail...and we are very close to getting what we want. Except just...no one can leave the house, we have no idea how we will take out Oleg, there is a fucking Turk trying to take Mia away and we have to finish everything in the next two days and I can barely move. But on the bright side! Mia is now a professional stripper so you can watch her twerk for you for the rest of your life." He finished with a short laugh but immediately stopped from the pain in his side.

Kirill smiled at first and then a light chuckle escaped his lips until he was laughing harder and harder and through the pain, Danila joined him in his laughing fit.

The two best friends couldn't keep it together as they watched each other break down into laughter and tears, realizing both the severity and ridiculousness of their situation.

Mia heard them laugh and her heart was full knowing that the two best friends remained just that, no matter what happened and the circumstances. 

She peeked into the room and she saw Danila both laughing and moaning from pain while Kirill was half on his knees, holding onto his stomach, eyes closed.

She came over to the side of the bed as they continued laughing and Danila motioned for her to lie down beside him. She thought for a minute but then did just that.

Kirill saw and lied down beside her as they both continued to lightly chuckle.

"Last laughs before we all die?" She asked with a smile too.

They both turned to her but said nothing as she felt Kirill wrap his arm just below her breasts and Danila embraced her around her stomach. They both moved closer to be with her, their feet intertwining with hers.

Please don't forget to vote and comment! I love to hear from my readers! ❤️