Chapter 39- Golden Horses

Xiyi shouted in a clear voice, "Brother in law~"

Bai Yuan felt goosebumps all over his arms and neck, "Isn't it the voice of that annoying prince?"

"My lovely brother in law~"

Bai Yuan finally looked ahead and spotted Xiyi waving his hand enthusiastically and gracefully coming toward him. He pointed at himself, "Me?"

Xiyi came down and nodded, "Yes. Who else?"

He extended his hand to Bai Yuan so that he could grab it and stand up from his seat. Yiheng also had already arrived beside him. He stood beside Xiyi and nonchalantly slapped away his hand before Bai Yuan could touch it.

Xiyi teased in his playful tone, "Ouch. I'm hurt."

His expression was replaced with warmth as he spoke in his deep voice, "Take my hand, Wife."

Bai Yuan was suddenly again in the limelight. He took Yiheng's hands and was guided by him toward his(BY) seat.

Bai Yuan didn't forget to thank Xiyi who was now busy having fun with the ladies around him.

Yiheng still had his grip on Bai Yuan's hand. He looked down at his utensils and spoke in a disheartened tone, "I'm such a failure. They made you sit so far from me and I didn't even get the chance to do anything...."

Bai Yuan wasn't really worried about his status, which was already rotten from the beginning. He wasn't even trying to build that up, since he didn't plan to stay for long. He just wanted to enjoy the life of royalty. Hence, he patted Yiheng's hand gently and replied, "I don't mind sitting with the concubines at all. I could feel your gaze on me. God, you looked so scary, haha."

Yiheng looked at his wife, his eyes moist and affectionate.

Bai Yuan continued, " Also, it wouldn't have looked good if you complained about the arrangements made by the empress for a mere consort."

Yiheng's eyes this time were fierce, "You're not a mere consort. You're my Noble Consort, the legal candidate to become the next Empress of the Xia Empire."

Bai Yuan was suddenly speechless, "......"

Everyone enjoyed the lavish feast while Empress Jin and Yang Zi bite their nails in frustration and anger.

There was still an official dinner left so everyone would meet again in that banquet hall at night. But at that time the guests would not be limited to only imperial family members. There would be high-ranking ministers and officers with their respective families. Hence, it'd be the supreme chance for them to bring up their marriageable offspring in front of such high-ranking persons in the hope of getting a good marriage proposal. If luck favors them, one of their children might catch the eyes of the princes or the famous Emperor Wang.

Bai Yuan was hearing such gossip from the ladies earlier. He was now very curious about this whole matchmaking party. He was thinking about that and completely forgot that he was having tea time with Mo-er and the children. He was only brought back to Earth when Mo-er shook his sleeves to draw his attention, "YuanYuan!"

Bai Yuan cleared his thoughts and focused, "I'm listening." He took a sip of the warm tea in his hand.

Wang Mo-er pointed in a direction and asked in a nervous voice,

"Shouldn't you stop them?"

Bai Yuan's tea was thrown out in the air when he saw Yeye trying his hardest to climb up the pony from earlier, Shen Haiying helping him and Shen Ming jumping in circles around them.

Bai Yuan quickly went there with worry all over his face, "Prince Haiying, he's very young. He'll fall from the horse."

Shen Haiying blinked at him, "But I can easily ride this horse."

".... that's because you're especially talented!"

Yeye was still trying his best when his mother picked him up in his arms, "Yeye, you're too young for horse-riding!"

Yeye struggled, "Nooo! I want to look cool like Ying-Ge too!"

Haiying could feel his small cheeks turn red, "I'm not that good."

Yeye continued, "I want to learn to ride so that I can take Mommy on adventures with me!"

Mo-er and Yuan both chuckled at his cute intention, "Ah, my puffball is so precious."

Mo-er's voice came from behind, "My son, go, ask the uncle in the stable to bring a well-trained horse. Also, tell your uncle to join us as soon as possible."

As if Bai Yuan knew what she was intending to do, he quickly replied, "It's okay, princess. I know how to ride a horse."

Haiying replied, "Ok, Mother," and disappeared quickly. Soon he came back with another golden horse and a man to assist them.

The man greeted them politely and said, "I brought the horse his highness gifted the Crown Princess."

Bai Yuan was surprised, "Is it really okay for me to ride your horse?"

Mo-er peeled a banana and replied happily, "My horse is one of the best in this empire. I'm glad the stable guy made such a wise decision!"

The golden horse went near the small pony and licked its face.

Mo-er was chewing the banana when she remembered something and said, "Oh, I forgot. That pony is her son. So I gifted him to my son, hehe."

Haiying seemed glad as he went ahead to pat the pony on his neck.

Bai Yuan also felt the contagious happiness in the air, "How thoughtful of you, princess. Can I try riding?"

"Go ahead! I want to see your riding skills too."

"Ah, that's embarrassing to watch. I'm still bad at this. But I'm trying again for Yeye."

Saying so, Bai Yuan held Yeye tightly in one arm and smoothly climbed the horse in a blink with the help of another.

"Wow, you're strong, YuanYuan!"

Bai Yuan flashed a smile full of pride, "You flatter me too much."

Yeye was suddenly in such a high place, he became very excited. Bai Yuan was expecting him to be worried and scared, however, Yeye's reactions were always beyond expectations.

Yeye chirped like a happy bird, "Wow, Mommy! Yeye is on a horse!"

Bai Yuan sat him down in front of him and supported his body with one arm. He used the free hand to clutch the rein.

He turned to look at Haiying and offered with a smile, "Prince Haiying, let's go on a small ride together."

Haiying felt excited but poor Shen Ming felt dejected. He ran to his mother with teary eyes, "Mommy, Why aren't they taking me? I want to ride horses like Brother too!"

Mo-er caressed his chubby cheeks and said patiently, "Don't be sad, my dumpling. Uncle Yuan can't carry two babies, can he? Wait a bit for Papa, he'll take you for a long ride, okay? Meanwhile, have this."

Mo-er gave a piece of red bean paste cake in his small hand and pulled him up to sit on her lap. Like an obedient child, Shen Ming took the cake and started nibbling on it with unshed tears in his eyes. He saw Bai Yuan's back retreat slowly as the horse started walking.

On the other hand, Yeye was totally enjoying the moment. He saw many things from the back of the horse. Haiying introduced them to the people present around them and guided them further. They rode for a good amount of time.

"Uncle Yuan, do you want to take a rest? There is a small pavilion near."

***

A.N: Helllooo, Dearest. Long time no see. How have you been? You know, you know, I started learning Guitar recently. It's fun but my fingertips are now all swollen. Sobs. Sobs. But it's worth it for me. I hope you enjoyed your day🫰🏻
I love you