chapter 143

He was lost in thought for a long time. After a moment of quiet silence, he spoke in a laughing voice.

“I didn’t know my son could have such a good eye for women. To think that he brings someone like you as a lover.”

I smiled lightly and shrugged my shoulders.

Ruthos continued.

“Even if the curse was lifted, I was obsessed with spending time only on things that were profitable, as I had been living my life up until now.”

He said looking at the pocket watch.

“I suppose so. Even after escaping from the crossroads of death, you were only thinking about work.”

[The God of Art, Mond, expects him to donate a lot of offerings and artworks to the temple of art to commemorate his retirement.]

I said, looking at Ruthos.

“Time is precious to everyone. I… hope that the Merchant Lord spends time searching for the many lost times.”

Staying up all night looking at the beautiful stars, watching three or four year olds laughing and running around, being fascinated by unfamiliar scenery, getting to know and hanging out with new people.

All of them weren’t practical, but they were acts that gave pleasure. I thought it would be nice if he finally escaped from the curse and found a taste for the world, and tried various foods. It’s a pity that he only eats the cream soup he’s always been accustomed to.

“Please think of this as a little advice as a saintess rather than as the Marquis’ lover.”

At my words, he looked at me for a long time as if he was moved. And after a while he opened his mouth.

“My father once told me that story when I was little. Cass, it’s probably something I’ve never told you.”

Ruthos said with a sad smile.

[All the Gods listen to Ruthos.]

“As the Golden Kingdom became more and more corrupt and the royal family became unspeakably cruel, the Primordial God sent a girl with a beautiful soul to bring the royal family to repentance.”

It was the first time I had heard of it.

“The girl told the king to repent by preaching the word of God, yet the king got drunk and hung the girl outside the city wall. And… God’s wrath came. The Golden Kingdom was destroyed, the people were enslaved, and the royal family was cursed.”

As I listened to the story, for some reason, my heart skipped a beat.

“When I asked my father when this curse would end, he said this. Until the Primordial God forgives us. And… it won’t end until the girl who died forgives us.”

Ruthos looked at me and smiled sadly with dark eyes.

“The curse won’t be lifted until someone dead forgives us. I have accepted it as saying that the curse will never be lifted and buried this story. But seeing you here like this…”