Midnight Duel

Don't be a silent reader

"You're joking."

It was dinnertime. Harry had just finished telling Ron and Draco what had happened when he'd left the grounds with Professor McGonagall. Ron had a piece of steak and kidney pie halfway to his mouth, but he'd forgotten all about it. "Seeker?" he said. "But first years never -- you must be the youngest house player in about a century, " said Draco, shovelling pie into his mouth. He felt particularly hungry after the excitement of the afternoon. "Cedric told me," Harry said

They were so amazed, so impressed, he just sat and gaped at Harry. "I start training next week," said Harry. "Only don't tell anyone, Cedric wants to keep it a secret Also Mom was quite mad but knew she could not ground me due to the quidditch training"

"Man, was I terrifying when we heard your full name yell across Hogwarts" Draco shivered

Then someone far less welcome turned up: Puecy, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle. "Having a last meal, Potter? When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?"You're a lot braver now that you're back on the ground, and you've got your little friends with you," said Harry coolly. There was, of course, nothing at all little about Crabbe and Goyle, but as the High Table was full of teachers, neither of them could do more than crack their knuckles and scowl. "I'd take you on anytime on my own," said Puecy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only - no contact. What's the matter? I've never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"

"Of course he has," said Ron, wheeling around. "I'm his second. Who's yours?" Puecy looked at Crabbe and Goyle, sizing them up. "Crabbe," he said. "Midnight, all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room; which's always unlocked."

"You idiots," Malfoy slapped his forehead as Puecy left, Ron and Harry looked at each other. "What is a wizard's duel?" said Harry. "And what do you mean, you're my second?"Well, a second's there to take over if you die," said Ron casually, getting started at last on his cold pie. Catching the look on Harry's face, he added quickly, "But people only die in proper duels, you know, with real wizards. The most you and Puecy'll be able to do is send sparks at each other. Neither of you knows enough magic to do any real damage. I bet he expected you to refuse, anyway."And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?"

"Throw it away and punch him on the nose like your mum said," Draco suggested.

"Excuse me." They both looked up. It was Hermione Granger. "Can't a person eat in peace in this place?" said Ron. Hermione ignored him and spoke to Harry. "I couldn't help overhearing what you and Puecy were saying -" "Bet you could," Ron muttered. "--and you mustn't go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you'll lose Hufflepuff if you're caught, and you're bound to be. It's very selfish of you."And it's none of your business," said Harry.

"Goodbye," said Ron. All the same, it wasn't what you'd call the perfect end to the day, Harry thought, as he lay awake much later listening to his roommates falling asleep. Ron and Draco had spent all evening giving him advice such as "If he tries to curse you, you'd better dodge it because I can't remember how to block them." There was a very good chance they were going to get caught by Filch or Mrs. Norris and Harry felt he was pushing his luck, breaking another school rule today.

On the other hand, Puecy's sneering face kept looming up out of the darkness - this was his big chance to beat Puecy face-to-face. He couldn't miss it. "Half-past eleven I'd better go." He pulled on their bathrobes, picked up their wands, and crept across the common room and out of the place.

At every turn, Harry expected to run into Filch or Mrs. Norris, but he was lucky. He sped up a staircase to the third floor and tiptoed toward the trophy room. Puecy and Crabbe weren't there yet. The crystal trophy cases glimmered where the moonlight caught them. Cups, shields, plates, and statues winked silver and gold in the darkness. They edged along the walls, keeping their eyes on the doors at either end of the room. He heard footsteps and turned aiming his wand to see Ron but with Hermione and Neville?!!.