20

"W-w-white"  the half-dead guy on the floor utters out with all his strength. 

"Yes! White! Tony White! Did he send you?" I ask with excitement in my voice. 

He nods slowly while still groaning. I feel hope suddenly emerging in me... Tony found me! 

"That's amazing! I noticed the camera's turned off about 30 minutes ago, was that you guys?" 

He nods again, confirming my assumption. I knew something was wrong the moment I saw the camera light turn off. I only looked straight at it once, but I always watch its reflection in the mirror, in case it turns off and I get a chance. 

I walked outside because the camera light was turned off, I thought it might be Stefano's new game to test me but when I stepped outside the room all other cameras in the hallway were off, not just the one in my room. My only solution was to pretend to look for Stefano in case it was a test, the I would make excuses like I was in pain or something. 

I was surprised to see him behind me, for a moment I thought it was definitely his plan but I was proved wrong by this guy's appearance. I know I am in the hands of dangerous people who probably have like a million enemies, but I thought what if... what if that's someone Tony sent? I was even willing to take the risk and talk to him had Stefano not gotten in the way. 

Stefano's protective reaction was a shock, I didn't expect him to care about my life, after all, he had me go through... he turned out to be a man, but that's not what I wanted! I wanted him to leave me behind! That guy stuck to me like glue, he even took my hand with his dirty... oh... 

"Ah, my life... how miserable you turned out  to be..." I sigh, sitting next to the dying body.

I look at the camera in this room, this one is also off, which means there's still time...

"Listen to me..." I look at the blue-eyed guy next to me.

"The cameras are still off, I can open this door and help you get out. Stefano won't let you survive no matter what, he didn't kill you because he wants to make you talk, and believe me, he won't be nice. So you'll get up... you'll get out... and you will run! Run as fast as you can. And if you manage somehow tell Tony my location, he'll know what to do... okay? Please do that for me! I know you're in this state because of me but I promise I will make it up to you!" 

I speak with sympathy, I feel sorry for him, judging by his eyes he seems like a young man. People in this house don't even deserve to be called humans! 

He gives me a quick nod with his moist eyes, he's about to cry and so am I. 

Get up now... you got this. 

I grab his arm to help him stand up, he does his best despite losing a lot of blood and not being able to use his hands. 

I turn the door handle and take a small peek outside, the gunshots are still going but they seem to be coming from further away. 

"Come on" I help him get out. 

I lift one of his wounded hands and rub it on the door handle, making it seem as if he opened the door himself. Then take off my shoe and place it between the door and the frame to make sure it doesn't close. Johnny said only Stefano can open this door, so if Stefano sees me out of the room he will know I opened it since this guy can barely walk let alone take me as a hostage. 

"H-here" He moves towards the same room he got out of earlier, I open it and see the window open with a rope tied somewhere. I grab the rope to help him but I realize the gunshots have stopped. 

I don't have time. 

"I have to go... you got this... don't forget your promise okay? You'll survive! I know you will!" 

He nods fast with teary eyes, this guy seems so young it hurts me to see him go through this. 

I run out of the room making sure I close the door slowly. I check the hallway camera and thankfully it's still off. I grab my shoe and enter the room from earlier, his exotic pets room. I sit down in a tuck position and cover my face with my knees, trying to remember the worst memory I have and force myself to cry. 

I know mental illness is no joke, but right now my only chance of survival is faking that as my weapon... even more now that I know it works.

Almost seconds later, I hear someone opening the door with full force. 

I gasp and breathe heavily, looking up to see it's Stefano. 

He takes one look at the place the guy from earlier was, then rushes towards me... I thought the first thing he'd ask would be about the guy but to my surprise...

"Are you okay?" 

He cups my face with his hands and carefully strokes my hair, trying to calm me down. Acting like a traumatic girl is working on this guy... I can't believe a Mafia leader can be still soft-hearted.

Little does he know... 

"Mm" I reply with a small nod, like a scared cat, staring into his deep black eyes. 

"Okay... let's go out... can you get up?" he's never been so gentle...

"The kids!" I grab his shirt and stare at him with fear in my eyes. 

"The kids are fine! The kids are fine... you'll see them soon, you have to come with me first okay?"

He assures me and I nod while I pant like a child. I shake my body to make my acting more realistic as he tries to help me up. He wraps one arm around me and opens the door with the other, still holding the gun.

We come out and first see Johnny and another guy with him in the hallway. 

"He got away," Stefano speaks in a cold tone. 

"I got it" Johnny responds with a stony face, I've never seen him this serious before...

We get back to my room, he helps me sit on the bed, then brings out some keys and opens the balcony door. He looks at me with an unsure expression before deciding where or not to step out. 

"Do you need some air?" 

I remain still, pretending like I don't know... well OBVIOUSLY duh! I've been dying for fresh air! 

After a moment, I give him a slow nod, then he comes back to help me stand up. He leads me to the balcony, and even though it's still dark, the cold breeze brushing against my body gives me a sense of freedom... 

I take a deep inhale of the air as soon as I step out, I know Stefano noticed that. He's been trying to read me from the beginning, and I know exactly how to play him. 

We walk a few steps forward, my hands grab the balustrade now to keep myself still. I can now see some of the backyard, it's massive, but it looks untidy and uncared for. I also noticed for the first time that we're really at a high place right now.

Are we at an abandoned mansion?

Suddenly the sound of a gun being shot made me jump with surprise, Stefano held me tight the moment he noticed. Now my head is on his chest, he's rubbing my shoulder with one hand and stroking my hair with the other. All while shushing and kissing the top of my head. 

But I am genuinely scared...

From afar I can see two men coming towards the mansion, I straighten myself as a natural response to the sight before me. It's two men dragging a body around the yard by grabbing both arms.

My eyes widen, my mouth opens, my heart stops, after seeing his wounded hands, confirming it's the same person I was with earlier... 

Stefano notices my reaction and covers my eyes, he turns me around, leading me back into the room, but I can hardly walk. My knees are weak. He tries to hold me tighter, but I'm unable to stand, he picks me up bridal style, lays me down on the bed then takes off my shoes. 

I'm utterly shocked. I'm in disbelief. This can't be happening.

They killed him...